Working on converting a FW DH Dread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Working on converting a FW DH Dread

I'd like some advice. I managed to pick up two Forgeworld Daemonhunters Dreadnought torsos, and I have been taking a break from painting to assemble them for a bit. I have a large knack for wanting unique items, so I can't just assemble it and leave it as is... Problem I'm having is that I can't think of what to do to these dreadnoughts to make them more unique. The curse with forgeworld stuff is that everything else looks so plain alongside it!

I can't come up with any good ideas for decking out the arms or legs of this thing. I did a little bit to the engine in the back, and added a few bare details to each arm, but it's not really enough. The thing also stands at a slight tilt, which is unintentional, and I'm not sure if I should leave it or try bending the feet into a different position. I originally set them up so it'd stand on that base without a problem, but hell if I know if I'm even keeping the base.

I'm thinking of making a sword like what the inquisitor models carry and jamming it directly into the top of the dreadnought - something like this:

But even then, that doesn't help me with my arm and leg problem.

I don't even know if I want to put the smokelaunchers on there either. I have an 'altar' sort of thing, a pedestal with candles atop, that I'm thinking of putting on the other torso for the time being...

In short: I need ideas and inspiration! Please bear in mind I can't sculpt worth a damn. I've combed through CoolMiniOrNot and seen stuff like Pega's awesomely sculpted GK Dread, but I don't really want to rip ideas off from that, even if I could sculpt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

If you wish to use candles on the model then why not put them on top of each arm? You could have a row of candles atop both the arms (the SOB range has some), and could GS some wax driping down the sides of the arm. This would help address the lack of detail when compared to the sarcophagus. An additional book strapped to one of the arms would also help, and would fit in nicely with the book on the sarcophagus.

Alongside the other suggestions, adding loads of purity seals to the hull would be both very fluffy and look great when painted. You could GS some simple icons or plaques (i.e. just some flat plates onto which you could paint dedications etc) onto flat parts of the arms to fill the gaps. Finally, you could make a small banner out of GS (using the old cling-film/celophane wrap and rolling pin technique) and have it hanging from the bottom of the lascannons.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,
    Rich.
    Last edited by rp252; January 10th, 2007 at 11:08.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about...

Well I'm not really into Loyalist stuff, but it strikes me that this chapter is all about purity and cleansing. Therefore how about:

Incense burners either as swinging incense censers (see this page) or fixed braziers (see this page).

Incorporate some Byzantine Icons onto the armour panels on the legs (in a 40k style) - see this page

Something to do with holy water/fire, but struggling on that. Maybe a phial launcher rather than smoke launcher?

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

Got myself a pair of legs and other bits from a Throne of Judgement.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to make the dread look a bit dynamic.

P.S. Holy jesus putting the legs together for this is such a pain. Nothing lines up right, and I had to pin absolutely everything together. Those shin pads still refuse to stay on.

I'm probably going to leave the back engine that's on there alone for now and use the organ-ish ones on the other torso.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

Here's where I'm at with both of them:

(Sorry, I just like posting pictures)

Everything is magnetic - I can break each dread down easily to a torso, legs, engine, and arms. Should make painting a lot easier, as well as weapon swaps.

I think the torsos and legs of both are done, the arms just need prettying up. I managed to get a second pair of ML and TLLC arms for the other dread.

I like the idea of candles on the dreads, I just don't think there's much horizontal area on the arms for candles to be placed. I'll work on figuring that out. I also liked the idea of painting the dreadnoughts up in a style similar to the Throne Of Judgement's - parts of it would be painted up like cracked marble, which looks gorgeous. I think I'm going to try that on the =][= Dreadnought.

I'm actually trying to figure out how I can convert the standard Dreadnought CCW arm into something a bit more daemonhuntery. It would be cool if I could get it manipulating a giant nemesis force weapon, but the stock hand isn't exactly great for grasping any weaponry. I don't want to go the forgeworld route either - I think that blade arm looks a bit silly.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

Started poking around trying to dress the arms up a bit.

Eh? There are some notably bare spots, but a lot of the bits I try out don't seem to quite.. fit, you know?

+ Reply to Thread