How to paint Meltabombs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

How to paint Meltabombs?

I'm about to paint some Meltabombs, but I've never done it before. So I wonder how to do it...Any special colours that works good any details to think especially about? They are for Assault Marines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm planning on doing with my melts is pretty simple. Most of the casing is just a plain ink-washed boltgun metal, but the four bumps along the sides are given warning chevrons (Alternating black and yellow hash marks) and the handle's just plain black.

I figure that since they're hurled ordinance they wouldn't be decorated beyond 'DANGER: EXPLOSIVE'. Alternatively, you could give them a red handle, since the triggering mechanism for many explosives and similar objects is also bright red.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Thanks Psionyx, the red handle is a great idea as are the chevrons.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

You can also substitute gray paint for any silver. It brings out the detail a little better and allows some advanced shading techniques. For melta-bombs, try painting the entire thing dark gray, leaving the black primer showing around the two raised lines in order to distinguish them from the rest of the bit. Then lightly apply a lighter gray to the bubbly ends of the bomb. With the same light gray trace over the two raised lines. It produces a very nice looking bit.

If you want the bomb to appear 'aged' then you can add in a little brown (or red brown) and blue. The brown provides a bit of warmth to the gray, while the blue bring out the darker undertones. It's a very nice way to give a drab gray some demension. In order to create this color use the following porportions:

2 dark gray
    .5 black
    1 brown (or red brown)
    1 blue
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread