Painting Yellow, am i really that bad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Yellow, am i really that bad?

Hi all, im looking for some advice on painting yellow, just switched chapters from smurfs to SW but im having a nightmare trying to get those damn shoulder pads looking right, at the moment im basecoating them white then painting the yellow, should i try brybrushing them ?

The problem is the yellow looks patchy and as this is my first time using it to any degree i have no idea how to do it. Failing that, anyone have any good ideas for shoulder pad colours for space wolves ?

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I assume you mean the general yellow pad on which the chapter logo goes rather than the individual pack pattern?

Yellow can be difficult generally it can look blotchy, it can help to get the white right first, lots of thin coats, and then the same with the yellow, but the other option is to paint it a light brown, perhaps desert yellow first, this gives you a more solid base to work from
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Are the rest of the model dark? And you have a black under coat? Then white, brown, yellow is the way to go. maybe 3-5 thin layers in every step, its probably the only way to get a nice color. No drybrush...

edit: light brown or desert yellow, not a dark brown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One option is to pain it white and then use yellow ink, not sure if it looks good enough but it´s simple.

What paint do you use? I find that Vallejo has much more pigment and cover better than Gw paints. Just a thought thou... good luck.
    /Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks to all of you for your help, ill try them out and see how i go

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

I found a nice way of doing yellow with even using yellow paint,
    Use a base coat of white or black then a coat rotting flesh then a light coat of bubonic brown its brings a nice and not to bright yellow out nicely in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

When I do yellow I put down a base of snakebite leather first. It has a yellowish hugh and will help build a richer yellow overall. That and several light coats of yellow. Yellow paint in general comes out thinner by default so usually you can't cover it in one pass without it looking blotchy.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x2)

Hmm - t'say the truth I would start off with a good layer of snakebite leather or some sort of grey - just to give a good base.
    Then would paint the part with bubonic brown, and mix bubonic with the yellow you desire - many layers of heavy watered down paint - takes a lot of time but the results are nice
    God's in His Heaven, All's Right With the World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a real bright vibrant yellow with good color coverage. One of the members in my painting group discovered this litte trick.

Paint the section with 'elf flesh' then ink it with 'yellow ink'. Its simple quick and what we have found to be the finest technique for yellow. Just remember to let the ink dry.

The closest thing would be a white base and ink that yellow. It looks alittle flat though. Besides that highlighting from a brown produces fine results aswell. Depending on the tone of the color your looking for.
    2007 Battle Counter
    W/L/D
    Imperial Guard: 1.1.0
    Empire: 1.0.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleached bone, our saviour. if your EVER painting yellow, put down some bleached bon where you want it, Bleached bone goes well over any colour, and yellow goes over it perfectly. I use this to do the Hazard Stripes (chevrons) on my iron warriors.
    Click here to take a look at my Blog! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...p?userid=19270

+ Reply to Thread