Red Corsairs/Astral Claws Test - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Red Corsairs/Astral Claws Test

Well, I did up the majority of a test model today for my Red Corsairs army... the scheme is that of the Astral Claws. Apologies for the blurry pics... I have yet to master my digital camera. I'll work on getting better pics over the weekend, but these'll have to do for now:

Front:

Back:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...8/000_6623.jpg

He looks okay, as far as tabletop quality goes, but I'm a little worried about the red armour. I think it's a little too dark (I used Red Gore) and it's difficult to highlight. This is also my first attempt ever at highlighting a whole model, and although it's hard to see (and there aren't too many highlights), I think the black was the easiest. I highlighted parts on the legs, feet, and hands.. hopefully you can see them.

A few concerns I had:
    • The red armour.. again, it seems a little too dark for the scheme to work, and it's not evenly spread out. It doesn't look awesome, but it doesn't look too terrible.
    • The brass - it looks a little sloppy and it is hard to make it look "real" with the model. I just painted it on, as I don't know any fancy tricks.
    • The blue hair tail - I tried to "highlight" it with Enchanted Blue (UM Blue was the base colour) but it's too hard to see...

The rest of the model is okay, and I'm not too unhappy with it as it's somewhere inside the "first 10 models I've ever painted" deal, but I'm not incredibly happy with it, either.

Comments and criticism are welcome, just be gentle... I don't know any fancy techniques or anything, so bear with me. =P

I'll try to get better pics later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I'll wait with comments until I see better pics (use macro-mode... Use macro-mode!!). Looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    I'll wait with comments until I see better pics (use macro-mode... Use macro-mode!!). Looking forward to it.
    I don't really understand my digital camera, haha. It's a Kodak EasyShare CX7300, if that helps... not sure how I can get it onto macro mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's a button with a little flower on it, that's macro. Looks good from what I can see, hope that helps
    “You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” ~ Woody Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Bliss View Post
    If there's a button with a little flower on it, that's macro. Looks good from what I can see, hope that helps
    Nope.. there's only the following:
    • flash
    • delete
    • menu
    • review
    • OK (and arrows for zoom)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I suggest accessing the meny. It should have a focus-option or something with the choice for macro. Look around in the menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try taking pictures at least 18 inches away.... at a high resolution. You can then crop the image down.... It's better to take focused pictures farther away than it is to take blurry pictures up close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I assume you are trying to paint red over black undercoat...??

And it is coming out dark, dirty and with brush strokes (sounds like a bad night out on the town)...??

Here is a trick i picked up for painting a rich red over black.

1: Red Gore base coat over your black

2: Red Gore & Skull White (50:50), paint all but the deepest areas. Now it will look pink but don't worry...

3: Keep adding white to your mixture and keep highlighting until you somewhere close to a fleshy pink

4: Do a final highlight on the most sereve edges of pure white. Make sure this is watered
    down a bit so you don not ruin your previous highlighting.

5: Now this is the tricky bit. Water down Blood Red until it paints semi transparent (this is really had to explain but have a space on your palette to test it, you want to be able to see through it but still see red). Now gently paint over your pink with the red, be careful not to load the brush. You should get a smoth red colour but the "under shading" will still show through.

At the end of it you will have a rich red. No orange highlights or brown shading.

Cheers

Origin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

On Modeling: Since your doing the Red Corsairs, have you thought at all about including a few regular space marine helmets? It will help 'bridge' the transition from loyalists to traitors.

Good start on the minis.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    On Modeling: Since your doing the Red Corsairs, have you thought at all about including a few regular space marine helmets? It will help 'bridge' the transition from loyalists to traitors.

Good start on the minis.
    I have, and I'm including renegades from various Chapters, so the Astral Claws themselves will be predominantly CSM, while the renegades are more "loyalist" looking. I will be mixing bits, though.

Gonna try and see about getting a better picture today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast