Vallejo Problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

Vallejo Problems

I painted up a test model for my new imperial guard army recently, using GW paints, and it turned out very well. I decided to start using Vallejo paints due to the price, amount, and acclaimed quality of their products. Now, my guardsmen have black fatigues (fabric bits) and i want them to have a very matte (not so shiny) finish.

I recently undercoated five guardsmen with the Vallejo chaos black equivalent, and they turned out extremely shiny. So shiny, that i have to do something to them so they match my test model. I would LOVE some advice from any Vallejo users regarding how to remove this shine from my models. (I plan to spray the others with black GW primer). Can it be fixed? Do i have to strip the models? (how do i strip plastics if so), and would using Testors Dull Cote kill the shine, but still allow me to paint over it?

Thank you VERY much for any advice.

"In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I haven't heard of this problem before.

Can you post some pics?

My friends and I have been discussing paints for a while. I use derivan that aren't shiney but have a slight powdery finish. I despise GW stuff as I can remember thier paints from the bad old days though another friend swears by them and Vallejo is supposed to be the bee's knees.

In the painting forum (i think) there were two threads - one on stripping paint and the other on matte finishes you might want to look at though you might have to search through the threads for a while. For ease, they were both late last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm
    Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
    ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

Thanks Phormio.

Unfortunately the digital camera in the family is currently oversees with my younger brother

I want stripping to be the last resort, but my main concern is whether or not Dull Cote would work, and more importantly, would allow me to paint over it. I have no problems with the other Vallejo paints i have used other than the shiny black.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been hearing good things about Vallejo and was wondering where I can get some? I live in Adelaide btw. Also if your stripping with non-acetone nail polish remover, it will melt your plastic glue bonds and if you leave it soaking too long it will get rid of a bit of detail, it also doesn't work on the spray on primer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

Templars, i got my Vallejo paints from a place in Sydney called "Tin Soldier", probably the biggest independent retailer in NSW. Your best bet is to go to large independent retailers in your city center.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

Vallejo tends to seperate if left for a while. Before using a bottle your supposed to shake in 10 times upright, and then turn it over and shake it 15 times upside down, everything will be stirred around and ready to go then.

hope that helps =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohk, next time I'm I head into GW I'll have a look around for anywhere that stocks them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I use both the vallejo game colors and the model colors. I also use testors dullcote. The dullcote will kill the shine. I often will paint on a few layers and want to see what it will look like with the dullcote so I will spray the dullcote and then continue painting afterwards. This is quite doable. I don't quite recall but I believe the model color range has sever different versions of black - one being a matte black. You might want to look into that - but barring that your idea of using dullcote should work splendidly!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

yay thanks for clearing that up Slorak. I think i will go with the dull cote and just spray the others. I also use the Game Color range and i didnt know about the different blacks, doesnt say on the tube so il have a close look next time im at the store. thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Matisse (Australian made and owned!!!) make an acrylic Matt medium that can be used as a matt varnish or as a matting additive to mix with acrylic paints. It definitely kills the gloss and is fine to paint overonce dry. Thinned with water it applies well and dries clear.
    I would recommend it!

PS I do not work for Matisse! They are just easy to contact and always answer any questions promptly when I have e-mailed them with all sorts of bizarre and technical stuff. Their products are excellent quality as well!
    Buy Australian!!!!
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast