Changing chaos space marine poses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing chaos space marine poses

I'm just getting into the whole idea of modeling, and for my first project I want to make some unique chaos space marines. I can't stand that they all stand the same way and hold the weapons the same way. Is there an easy way to change their legs, to say a kneeling pose... or change their weapon hands to something different?

Just curious if there is a 'standard' way of accomplishing this task.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy?
    Not exactly. Especially not if yu're new to it.

Just cut the legs off at the knees & the hips, reposition & pin them, & fill in the gaps with greenstuff.

Be careful, though. Kneeling in battle is not exactly a natural pose for a CSM.

Changing weapons can be easy, depending on how complicated you want to be.

Use an Xact knife to cut the weapon off of the right hand & off of the left hand, then switch hands. If you have the right weapons, this will work.

Eric
    Blue Table Painting
    --Miniatures painting service. High quality, good prices, and quick turnaround.
    www.bluetablepainting.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

You can use legs from the chaos fantasy minis. I've posted a few of my personal conversions to illustrate the point. These are havocs for a Red Corsairs army, thus, they retain much of their loyalist traits. Of course, you could use the same basic premise in creating basic chaos marines with added chaos attributes.

Spambot kill tally. . .337

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

If you are looking for an easy way, I guess greenstuff is the way to go. It all becomes much better and easier if you use it in combination with a pin-vice too.

I started out juct changing arms and found that to make quite a lot of difference. To cut away part of the shoulder of an arm, then replacing it with gs. Any sloppy sculpting can be easily covered with the shoulderpad before finishing the model of by painting.
    This will allow you to make minor adjustments such as changing angels and such, but it adds quite a lot of variety as not two models need to have their arms in an identical way.

Next step up the ladder of sculpting is to reposition the lower part of a limb in relation to the upper part. Straightening arms and legs, or making them more bent. To do such things I strongly recommend getting a pinvice and some metallic paperclips.
    Cut the arm at the elbow, use a knife to separate the four parts: uppper arm, elbow pad, lower arm and hand. Then drill through the lower/upper arm and make a hole in the hand. You can alsdo drop the shoulder if you wish, this will add way more flexibility. The finest drillbit suits a normal paperclip perfect.
    Then, when you've come this far you just put the clip in the hole and pose the limb to your liking, try to make sure it keeps the original length. THen add small dots of superglue to any openings -to stabilize the limb. Once it has dried you add a SMALL amount of GS, press it in place and let it cure for some twenty minutes. Once ti has cured this long it is much easier to work with.
    Use the GW sculpting tool to get it into shape, let it cure again for at least 24 hours. It might get a bit bulgy when setting, so if you are looking for a really good result it is well worth to go over any hard edges with a very sharp knife -I use a scalpel. This will make the model look way better and far less "hommade".

You should also investigate decapitation. Cut the neck of the model and replace it with GS. This will let you dive further, deeper into the timeconsuming swamp that is converting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Have a look at this little article for a kneeling Marine.

Linky
    Last edited by Jon Quixote; January 26th, 2007 at 12:27.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

This is my Kai Flyer Lord, his leg is cut then pinned and greenstuff'd. I had to make 2 cuts, one at the hip and one at the knee. Then, after pinning in place, both areas (gaps) were filled in with greenstuff. This was my first attempt with no tutorial outside of the GW wraithlord one that gave me the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../KaiFlyer1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../KaiFlyer2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../KaiFlyer3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../KaiFlyer4.jpg
    Last edited by Shoal07; January 26th, 2007 at 12:54.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

+ Reply to Thread