Help with small text - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with small text

Hi, I've bin painting up some new minis and it was going great till i had the idea of putting scripture on the amour. The amour is a dark Grey colour so i was going to use white text but no matter what i do i can't get it to look good. When ever i usually do stuff like this i use a black pen but i don't think they do white marker pens. Any thoughts?

Dnt judge my judgments plz
    Its not my fault, blame some other guy
    www.myspace.com/ike36

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felt tip pens should be avaliable in most colours, then it is just a matter of simply writing what you want.
    If white isn't avaliable with felt tip pens I would try looking for silver marker pens, now these I know are avaliable. It's just a matter of getting one that is small enough to write with and not paint with.

If still this isn't enough I would go to the extent of destroying a fine tip paintbrush. Maybe try saturating the straws with superglue...BUT BY ALL MEANS LEAVE THE TIP USABLE!
    Still if it should be ruined by the glue I know it is possible to use a paint saurated brush and simply have enough patience to continously redip the brush.

You choose, but I would guess the marker- or felt tip would be your best bet.

OJ
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Well, it's really not that hard to do decent 'text' with a brush, you just need to practice a bit.

If you are doing white paint, you may find it helpful to do a medium grey "base", around where you want the text to go. Then put the text over the top, and when it is dry, use your normal colour to cover the remaining medium base.

First, use quite thin paint. You need it thin so the paint will flow freely, and not come off the brush in lumps.
    Second, use a brush with a decent point. The brush doesn't have to be super thin, but smaller brushes normally have better points (if you look after them well).

Now, practice running paint across a flat surface in a wiggly line. It shouldn't be too tricky to get something that looks ok.

Once you get the hang of it, you can start adding word "spacing", capitals, etc etc.

Here are some examples of purity seals on my marines:

Those are generally done the way I suggested above, but I have occasionally added in vertical lines to make the text look a bit more busy.

Good luck
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The alternative to white felt tip pens/marker pens?
    Tippex

+ Reply to Thread