Painting Banners - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Painting Banners

I have just been painting some banners for my Dwarf army and i got to thinking, how do people generally go about painting banners. I suppose this is more geared at WHFB although the same goes for back banners etc for 40k.

Most of the new plastics come with moulded plastic banners (i got so frustrated by the stupid embossed shields on the brettonian banners) so a lot of the work is done for you, but i still like making my own banners from paper and painting my own designs on them. I recently came across the Little Big Man studios site when looking into WAB age of Arthur and was mightily impresssed, and in fact may have got some dark age banners for my dwarfs if paypal wasnt acting up on me (check them out here: banner goodness: Little Big Men Studios

so what about you, do you make your own, old school style, or do you just utilise what GW gives you. Ill post some pics up for my new dwarf banners when they are done, and please feel free to post yours up, i wanna see!

PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

While I don't really like banners in 40k, and I don't play a lot of WH, so I haven't actually done a banner in a long time.
    However, I would probably use the GW standard (metal/plastic) banners until it looked like I was going to repeat one (ie: have 2 of the same banner), at which point I would either convert or scratch build one.
    I remember a while back I used tin-foil, covered with watered PVA glue, then with some toilet paper over it (to give a stable base for painting on). That worked well, and looked quite good

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Well.. if you mean painting them onto the plastic banners provided, then the general concensus is that you draw the image first on paper then do a few test paintings too until you get an idea. After you believe you can manage it, then the banner can be done with paint on the actual miniature. I would suggest you lay it as flat as possible and keep it steady, if it can be painted apart from the miniature holding it then better still.

But otherwise, some actually draw the image on the banner in pencil first then fill in the gaps.

KU

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

As far as the iconography, if don't mind breaking away from the traiditionalist school of thought, then you can also use stencils.

I've only done one banner, and it was for 40K; but the same basic rules apply. One thing that worked for me was to experiment with painting streaks. The technique isn't for every army or banner, but it makes for convincing flesh and sludge. Here's an example:

Spambot kill tally. . .337

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

I was really just wondering what people did, personally i dont like using the plastic banners too much, as all the banners in your army end up looking the same.

Minus-t ive used tin foil too, works pretty well but i prefer thick paper myself
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the best luck with playing cards. When you cut and curl what parts you need and prime them well (light base colors work best but you probably knew it) they're surprisingly durable for paper banners. The only hard part is keeping the wet paint from warping them too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the banners that GW give you in the box are great and if your worried about your dwarf banners looking the same with plastic banners than just paint them all diffrent colours with diffrent designs.
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I paint the banner in colors I want(like what rabbit has done)
    Spray matte varnish to protect the colors.

then I draw it out on a piece of paper as sugested by kuffy.

Then I lightly draw it on the banner itself with a light pencil
    then paint it in. I've only done a couple but that's how I've done them in the past.
    Unfortunately the banners I have had done in the past were stolen along with 4 of my armies last year.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread