Small Rivets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small Rivets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Rivets

Has any one tried this method of creating rivets? I think it is only probably worth using if it is not feasible to create them from cutting rod.
    When my wife does craftwork, she uses a tool called a stylus to place dots of paint on, for example, the eyes of very small dolls. A stylus is basically a wooden dowel; each end has a 1-inch steel rod that tapers almost to a needle-point. What distinguishes it from a double-ended ice pick are the two miniature spheres machined into each end. When either end is dipped into glue and then touched to a surface, it leaves a virtually perfect round glue dot that comes out the same size almost every time. It can be held like a pencil.

The beauty of this method is that the end of the tool can touch the model surface and still produce a small "rivet." The tool can also be allowed to touch the surface at an angle, so the palm of your hand can rest on the model's surface as you hold the stylus, just as when you hold a pen. This increases the accuracy of the rivets' placement and greatly decreases the fatigue factor. You can create thousands of rivets at one sitting without going crazy!

Adding the rivets to the model's surface should be the last step before you begin painting. The surface should first be primed and finish-sanded. Using a very soft-lead pencil and a flexible straightedge, draw the lines on the aircraft surface wherever you want to place the rivets. I found that a clear plastic straightedge designed for use with fabric was very helpful; it has many lines imprinted on it that run parallel and perpendicular to its edge. This is a great help in maintaining the correct alignment of your lines.
    Source: findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3819/is_200312/ai_n9317175

--

Learn more about the Night Lords Northwave Splinter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

generally the rivets on small model aircraft are less pronounced than those on 40K models due to the smaller scale of the aircraft, hence the rivets can be expected to be bigger on a 40K model, this is relatively easy to do using "sausages" of GS rolled out thinly to the diameter of the rivets required, left to cure and then sliced into rivets and glued on
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm

Sure I know from looking at what other people have achieved on various tanks and orky things that rolling out GS or cutting rod is very much do-able, I'm just curious to know if anyone has tried this other method. It would appear to be a good way of adding detail to miniatures, e.g. space marine power armour.
    Last edited by northwave; February 1st, 2007 at 17:40. Reason: clarification
    --

Learn more about the Night Lords Northwave Splinter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Small rivets

For small 40K rivets there are 2 methods. First is to get a small hole punch from any paper goods store, makes a nice size washer type, then get a small leather punch, glue the 2 together and makes a really sharp ork style rivert. For a marine rivet just use the leather one
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I use a leather punch to make my rivets..

This is very easy to use, just dont use to thick plastic card...... hope this help
    Last edited by Cortex; February 1st, 2007 at 19:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

as I said in my orriginal reply, this technique is designed for use on model aircraft generally of a smaller scale so not really appropriate for most 40K rivets
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread