My solution to the crappy Eldrad Model... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My solution to the crappy Eldrad Model...

Well it's taken me about a month (cos im lazy), but here it is.

I know my painting isn't that great and my camera has made it look really shinny shinny but I hope you all like it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

I feel that this belongs in the Painting section, so... here it is.

Thread moved.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

The conversion is a good idea and works, I've seen another similar by Darren Lantham (Eavy Metal painter, GW UK). But still, it looks good. I presume you've given the miniature a new head and staff head? I am not sure as I don't know the two minis in question so much.

As to the painting, ok it's not amazing but it's not bad either. A few things you could do to improve though: Use inks less. They are handy and useful but in the right place. Generally I find they're best reserved for something like metallics or flesh before highlighting. Here, what I would have done, is to use a dark blue for the base and blend up to a lighter shade on the tops of the fold. Take more time and effort but ultimately, looks much better. The white looks slightly thick, to reduce this you need thinner layers - lots of them. But white is hard to use to cover black with, usually it's best to use say a grey for the base before adding white. Not only gives better base to work off but will also be the shading.

The gems, you have the right idea but slightly wrong. The light part should go at the bottom of the gem, with a spot of white at the top to simulate light reflection. I would suggest looking at CMON for examples or a guide. The black looks unhighlighted, and black is a hard colour to do properly. It either tends to look too grey or have too sharp a highlight or too subtle. But a thin line on the plate edges would look much better.

You mentioned the glare, I think it is due to using inks and possibly the varnish used. Gloss varnish will reflect and give it exactly that look: glossy. The best thing is to use matt varnish, it might dull down the colours slightly but ultimately it is better that having a glossy look.

Overall, I like the mini and with a bit of work your next one could turn out to be much better. =)

KU
    Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; February 3rd, 2007 at 15:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    But a think line on the plate edges would look much better.
    KU
    Dont want to appear pedantic but in this case its a bit confusing. Should "think" be "thin" or "thick"? I know its only a typo but this one could go either way.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

hehe, missed that. It's a thin line. I'll edit it.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I'm no master painter, Thanks for the tips though.

I originally posted this in the Eldar forum just to show peeps, but it ended up here, which is cool. Anyway, hope its given people some ideas.
    Last edited by $ick; February 3rd, 2007 at 21:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes hardcore look at his hand lol :w00t:

As for your painting i thinky our being a little too modest. Ok it isnt super standard but its pretty damn good for gaming very few people i know would put in that much effort me included in some cases. A couple of the gems are extremely nice.

I agree totally with what has been said Ulrik but keep up the good work well done.
    I plan to live forever, so far so good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think you have done some good work on Eldrad, I personally don't mind the original. The hand is a good part, I like that. Like others have said the painting could do with some work. I think really what you should do is make your paint work a little cleaner. The areas where the paints touch such as in his eyes need work.

Try painting an area like the eye black. Then paint white into it but don't touch the edges. You can then paint the white whatever colour you want.

+ Reply to Thread