Librarium Online Forums banner

Basing

651 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Dragonslayero 
#1 ·
I just received an extremely large amount of styrofoam and was just wondering if it was a good thing to use for basing? If it is, is there anything that needs to be done to it specifically to make it work or will glue and flock do the trick?

#2 ·
The use of styrofoam is great for everything, but in this case it is a matter of what kind of basing you are refering to.
Other than that it is hard to give you any advice.

As for using it with glue and flock...it is still up to you...
Using glue is a must, just remember to stay well clear of glue with solvets...glue like poly cement etc.
Regular school glue or wood glue is great for this, but there is also avaliable special styrofoam glue as well. It is expencive however, but when it all comes to it is proparbly the best choice.

OJ

#4 ·
Ok thanks for the additional info.
When it comes to this styrofoam is perfect.
Practicly it can be used for anything, be it simple buildings, rocks mountains or hills.

Technically speaking this article should now be placed under Scenery but we'll have to hope someone of mods or admins take the hint and move it.

Creating a simple hill is easily done by cutting the desired shape, using PVA (or similar non-solvent type) glue and simply covering with flock.
The result will look absolutely ok but far from perfect. Personally I prefer using lots of sand and static grass as I feel this creates a much better and natural look.
Depending on what type of styrofoam you have, it can also be used with great success to create rock faces and cliffs.
Simply cut out the desired shape with cracks and crevises, add some filler if desired (it does make it look even better) and simply paint in appropriate manner.

OJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.