Fabius Bile, asking for suggestions, tips and any constructive criticism - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Fabius Bile, asking for suggestions, tips and any constructive criticism

Taking a leaf strait out of theyak's book, im also interested in ways i could of improved my painting in the last comp. This will also give theyak chance for revenge, lol.

Seriously though what could I of done to improve him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, theres just too much going on with the model. too many colors i think. looks a bit like a rainbow
    i realize with the combat drugs and such he will need alot of colors, but i dunno just looks like alot to me.

also, i dont like the cloak, the lines in it just make it look messy, i think it would have been better smooth.

the metal looks realistic and alot of attention to the small details, i dunno, i just dont really care for the model.

sorry i couldnt be helpful lol
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Like micah said, there's a little too much color variation in the paint scheme. I would drop the purple and use a more muted blue. These two suggestions alone would greatly improve the appearance of the model.

Second, you may want to consider using more distinct colors between the head and the overcoat; right now, they are a little too similar.

The arms of the mechanical device on Fabius' back needs to be cleaned up a little. While it's good to preserve the apppearance of chaos, at the same time, it needs to be clear enough that your audiance can quickly ascertain what they are looking at.

Finally, I think you're a good enough painter that you should be able to add more detail to the drug containers, you know, like the way he's painted on the g.w. webpage.

At any rate, I think your Fabius looks pretty good, but based upon your painting skills, he needs to be cleaned up a bit.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

that actually was quite helpful, thanks. I was going to go with black armour to tone down the color's but ended up with blue somehow!

The lines are part of the model itself, they are cracks between the different patches of skin. When I painted it first they wernt as noticable, but then i gave the whole cloak a wash and it obviously pooled there, i might try and lighten them up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didnt realize the cloak was made of flaps of skin, i guess that would explain the coloring also

check out this pic

from gw's store, its a small pic, but you can tell it just looks alot cleaner.
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

It is one of my favourite models. All that skin just makes me so happy

What I would have done different with the skin (robe-skin)is to give it a more newly-flayed look. It would make him a bit more intimidating (IMHO). Make it paler and use a brighter red for the blood.

Like if he went "Hmm...what am I to wear today... Ah, I think I'll wear you."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Hi Macey-man. Here's my take. I'll tell you what I like and what I thought could use some more attention.
    First, I LIKE the Bile model, but I think for a competition its just too busy to capture in a few pictures accurately. Because he has those armatures and such its hard to show your quality.

What I like: You blocked in all the little bits of detail you could have. everything that should have color does. I actually unlike a lot of people, LIKE the cloak, I think you captured the flayed flesh look rather well with the deeper browns and red tones, like he had just carved some of his failed subjects up as a reminder of what to do "next time".(my only minor critiscism with the cloak is to do some minor highlighting around the edges of each pannel to make each one *pop* out as unique.

I think the blue in the armor doesn't contrast with the cloak really all that well, and all of your detail ends up being swallowed up. Remember that in "flesh tone" there are blue hues as well as greens. Putting blues next to a dark flesh tone makes the whole thing feel blended together.

Detail-wise I think adding fluid effects to those cannisters would have gone very far for you.
    It would have been a nice addition. A much brighter green(like scorpion, highlighted with mixed in white) would have REALLY brought that green fluid out very nicely.

As for the arms and such on his back. I think you had the oposite effect that I suffered from with my ork. Bile(although crazy) is still a scientist, he would take very good care of his extra appendages and make sure they are in top running order, they look rusty and abused. As I mentioned, its really hard to take in the arms on this guy on a picture.

The underside of the cloak, near the feet. a dark brown would have worked very well there to give a shaded effect, the shadow plane is undisturbed here and it looks like its a continuation of the surface.

His face could have used some lighter skintone, or much darker even, to make HIS flesh POP out as HIS from his cloak.(hmmm. an idea, try highlighting a few pannels with lighter and other with darker flesh tones to bring out that its a piecemail work... just an idea. His hair too, it is just lost in the model. a lighter white highlight would have brought that right up!

You used ink on the backpack, right? As a point, be careful to notice where it pools and remember to blend it into the surface, or it looks abrupt. instant shadow it is, but it still needs to be worked into the surface to make it look right.

Overall good work, man. I'm not trying to take "revenge" or put your stuff down. I hope this helps.

As general comment about how the contest went, I think the person who should have won didn't(no, I'm not talking about me) there was a model that clearly stood out as being a much finer example of painting and skill, the blending, shading and detail work was near perfect. It goes to show you just how far model choice and presentation goes in a contest like this.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think you could try some more shading on the model. There are many areas that need more shading. Such as on his backpack. As for the colour Fabius bile is similar to one of those cenobites from Hellraiser. I would suggest using those things as a starting point for his inspiration.

The cenobites may seem to wear alot of black and Fabius bile does not. However the cenobites are more noted for a lack of colour or having very limited amounts of colour. I think a similar approach would of been good on Fabius.

His trench coat is made of skin which could be done in a variety of lighter skin tones. At the moment I think it is way too dark. His armour would of worked well black and contrasted very well with the skin tones and the metalics of his various pieces of chaotic surgical equipment.

For doing those liquid areas in his backpack and needler thing I would try to make them look murkier. A deep gooey look will give an impression of yukness. At the moment the vials of fluid are too bright and one colour. Using some drybrushing followed by alot of strong shading and an ink wash could be good.

The effect would create areas that are clearly odd looking. When people see that those areas are meant to be the vials of evil chaos gunk Fabius has a thing for they will put two and two together and imagine that is what the evil gunk looks like.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Well there is one important thing I notice and that is that your colors look a bit thick. Are you water them down enough? How many layers did you use on that blue for example? As I agree whit some of the other posts, the thing that I think is worst is the metal. It looks a bit thick and not that well painted (I’m not really good at metal my self so I cant help you whit any improvement...)

The head need to "pop" more from the model, now it just melts in.

Still don’t think that your model is bad painted not at all, this is just stuffs to improve...
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x7)

Thanks guys, youve given me alot to be going on with. Right now I think this is going to be a strip down and start again job!

The liquids you guys mentioned, how exactly do you go about painting a translucant substance contained within a glass canister, on a solid piece of metal!? (after 5 mins thinking about it, i could give a thick gloss varnish coat to create the glass, so how would i paint liquid?)

The arms, need cleaning!!! I dont collect chaos so havnt given the codex a proper look, but thanks to theyak for the info. I thought they were mad torcher devices or somthing!

My paints are usually watered down, and ive often heard people mention that the paint looks a little thick, but ive always wondered what it meant! How can you tell if somone has used a thick paint or a thin one?

And finally, inks. Wonderful, washy inks. How i love my bloody inks. Im trying to persevere with them. Im trying to master some sorta skill with them, but so far, I loathe and detest them! I water them down, I end up with no colour on the model, I use it too neat, and everything gets stained. I make a perfect mix, and its goes everywere but where i want it! There should be some kinda college degree just for using ink!!! Im gonna try it a few more times, and then im done with it!

Thanks for the comments, Im gonna re work the model, and use your suggestions, keep em coming!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast