Conversion Pictures - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion Pictures

I have a rather basic digital camera. I have attempted to take pictures of some of my models but the pics are either too far away and show no detail, or they're too close and everything is blurry. Mostly, I've tried different distances and zooming in from farther away. I just can't seem to get decent pictures of my models. It's most likely just my low quality camera, but is there something else I should try doing?

mmm.... tastey

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Obsessed Eldar converter chandrila's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x2)

Does your camera have a macro mode? Even some basic cameras do, so it's worth checking. This enables you to take photos of objects that are very close to the lens and with a very narrow depth of field (i.e. the foreground is super-crisp but the background quite blurry).

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Macro mode is the small flower symbol, if your camera has it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

What kind of camera do you have? I'm no mini-shooting expert, but I take pictures for work from time to time. What sort of resolution do you have? Is it adjustable? If not, do you at least have a "preview pane" on the back of it? If so, try taking pictures as close as possible without it blurring. Next, use your photo-editing software (just about all cameras come with SOMETHING for free) and use it to crop the excess from around the mini. Then, blow it up as best you can and post it. Let us be the judges
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Taking photos of minis is hard! Much harder than you'd think but there is a couple of things that can help.

Get good light- use a light above the mini shining down and one above the camera pointing straight at the mini. This will help a lot. Use desk lamps if that's all you have and get them as close to the mini as possible.

I don't use macro-mode, I don't find it helps much. Instead I zoom in as much as possible and then move the camera until the mini fits the frame. You might have to move back a bit to let the camera get better focus but this is nothing a bit of patient experimenting won't fix.

I'm also a big fan of using a delay timer on the camera. This lets me position the camera, press the button, double check and then not be holding the camera when it takes the photo- at this level of photography even a little wobble will blur the whole photo.

Try and photograph against a plain background. It helps with editing later as is less likely to confuse any automatic features your camera may have.

Practice!

I look forward to these photos!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    Get good light- use a light above the mini shining down and one above the camera pointing straight at the mini. This will help a lot. Use desk lamps if that's all you have and get them as close to the mini as possible.

I don't use macro-mode, I don't find it helps much. Instead I zoom in as much as possible and then move the camera until the mini fits the frame. You might have to move back a bit to let the camera get better focus but this is nothing a bit of patient experimenting won't fix.
    Again, no expert here, but I'm told if you can adjust the resolution, taking a picture from a distance is NOT a bad idea, provided the resolution is cranked up. Then you can "zoom in" using your software, and it won't wreck the detail. Working from a distance often eliminates focus problems, and sometimes the light looks better from farther away.

There's an article written somewhere on LO (not a post, an actual article) that offers these and many, many more really good tips on taking pics of minis. Worth a look.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to post ANY photos you take. I'm sure the vets here will have lotsa advice.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to take more pictures and post them later, please let me know if it's worth posting the low quality pics, or if I should just wait until I can access a better camera.
    Last edited by UUAce; February 18th, 2007 at 23:02.
    mmm.... tastey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You have to upload your pictures. The way you tried it does not work. Register for free here and make the album public, then you can use the picture's URL for showing it or use it as a link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, here's this, it's not great, but it's the best quality I can get right now...

mmm.... tastey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that it isn't one of my conversions but those are either primed or not painted at all, and none of the details show at all. That and I can't make it smaller.

So is that a decent enough quality to post?
    mmm.... tastey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast