Stripping away Green Stuff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stripping away Green Stuff

I've searched all I can and cant find anything about this, so be gentle if this is a common post. My buddy bought a tyranid army on ebay pretty cheap and was planning on pinesol'ing them to strip the paint. Unfortunately, all of the genestealers have extended carapace modeled on their backs in the form of a huge ugly wad of greenstuff.

The genestealer backs are ridged so its near impossible to pry off the greenstuff. Any suggestions on how to remove it without melting the plastic? Would Simple Green / Brake fluid do anything? The only thing I hear of that removes greenstuff is acetone and that kills plastic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

This is not meant to be a thread-jack, but I have a similar question regarding a prebuilt model and figured I'd lump it in this thread.

I have a Monolith that was carelessly put together and has several gaps. I want to disassemble and clean it up for reassembly. What should I use? It looks like a mix of epoxy and/or super glue was used. Or, what are plastic-safe solvents for the various adhesives out there?

Hope you don't mind, monodan.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

With the best will in the world, Greenstuff is supposed to be a tough, chemically resistant material. There is no, repeat no solvent that might attack it, that would not damage the plastic first and worse.

You have but one hope. This is that as greenstuff is somewhat less flexible than plastic, that you might be able to flex the plastic away from underneath, especially if the previous owner didnt bother to degrease the plastic before applying the greenstuff. Then, if you get an little opening along the 'fault line' then you could insert a needle, and lever the greenstuff away. But I wouldn't hold out much hope for this frankly.

Basically - beware of buying stuff that others have already 'constructed' from Ebay. Buyer beware.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the flexing doesn't work, then you're need to grab an exacto knife and start carefully cutting it away (Or maybe you could cut it into an appropriate shape).
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Killer View Post
    If the flexing doesn't work, then you're need to grab an exacto knife and start carefully cutting it away (Or maybe you could cut it into an appropriate shape).
    I've been trying to use a hobby knife and it's okay, but I'm waiting for the blade to snap back at me.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I run into this kind of problem quite a few times, and the best solution that I find (don't always work, but it does work most of the time especially if the model isnt degreased before the putty was applied) is to use a pin-vise, carefully drill many holes on top of the putty without going too deep to damage the model.. that way, it'll ease the tension on the surface and eventually the putty will crumple on its own.

It would be alot easier to 'kill' the putty if it's on a metal model. All you got to do is soak the model in nail polish remover ($2 a big bottle) for 3 days, then you'll notice the putty's color changes and the texture will somewhat becomes rubber-ish.. very easily to peel off afterward.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys very much for the suggestions. He wont be particularily excited by this news but ahh well, at least he now has some options and judging by the craftsmanship of the big green blobs I doubt it was degreased.

Thanks again. +Rep

+ Reply to Thread