Taking Pics Of Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What cameras are good at taking the close ups. Are there are any digital brands that are good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

You should have a camera with macro modus and use naturally light..
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In what price range are you looking?

Once you do get one, experiment with all types of lighting, macro, and zoom. I used to use macro (very close up), but I get better results using zoom from a distance and zooming in close. It gives you a greater depth of field. That means the miniature is in focus from front to back. Sometimes in macro, you can get an outstretched hand in focus, but the body of the mini is out of focus. I also prefer using 3-5 indoor lights, and vary the colors sometimes for effect. I sometimes use a flash and sometimes not.

The good thing about digitals is you can try a variety of effects without paying or waiting for the film to develop. Right now I'm using a Nikon coolpix 990. Somewhat expensive, though. Try to get a camera that has a resolution of at least 3-4 megapixels for really good shots. Lower will work, but higher is better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about 1 mega pixel is good enough...
    all these new fancy cameras with 3-4 Mpxls are just obsolete unless youre a pro fotographer that needs extremely high res...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Nikon coolpix 990 you are using so its good at taking pics of warhammer. I looked it up and some people said the image gets a little distored up close. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not experienced any problems with it close up. Here is a close up with natural light. As you can see, the depth of field for focus is shallow. The very front and back of the tank is out of focus. I did this to draw attention to the specific feature I want to highlight.

This picture is taken in the dark using only flash. It was taken using zoom to get in close instead of macro. You can see the entire picture is in focus except for the front edge of the hill. Its about 8-10 inches from front to back.

As philipmatlary pointed out, you can use a camera with 1 megapixel resolution just fine. In fact, I have to lower the resolution of my camera to keep the picture size small enough to use on line or post on my site. However, I use my camera for other purposes as well, and want the option to have high resolution pictures. Also, I am able to zoom very, VERY close if I want to. I could make a picture of a marine eyeball if I wanted. So you can save money by purchasing a lower resolution camera if you only want it for on line use. The pictures look fine.

All the pictures on my site are from the coolpix if you want to see some more.
    Wolf Raider's Den

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the minolta dimage s414 is a good camera, digital and a flash, macro mode for close ups, portraits for those tall units, and some other technical features that help blur areas and things, this is for about £150 if you know where to look. For proof of it e-mail me and ill send you some pictures!rtaylor6@hotmail.com
    Won/Drawn/Lost (Only counting games 1500pts and over)

Space Marines -- Emperor's Legion (3/0/0)
    Tyranids (2/0/0)
    Orks (0/0/0) --Not Yet Ready--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just picked up a new digital that does outstanding miniature photos. It's the Canon A70. It has all of the whistles and bells one could want in a digital and runs about $300.

A good website for comparing digital cameras is the Imagine Resouce. Their reviewer takes a collection of similar/identical photos for each of the cameras that he reviews so that you can EASILY compare the quality of various cameras in a variety of lighting conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I have an HP camera (actually it's my stepdad's but he never uses it). It works good for close up detail but works best in natural light. The flash isnt good for close-ups, but is fine for distanced pics.
    If Knowledge is Power, then Genius is Tyranny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to see what I've done with my new camera recently check out my pics on Cool Mini Or Not. The last five or six entries were all taken using the new camera. I'm still getting used to it but it can take some great pics.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse.php?su...er=griffongames

Closed Thread