Thousand Sons and Lava Bases Oh My! [PIC HEAVY] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Thousand Sons and Lava Bases Oh My! [PIC HEAVY]

It has been an agonizingly slow 4 month project but I am finally finished. These guys were fun to paint but man were they time consuming. Not to mention having a little baby to take me away from my painting! My apologies go out to Dr. Snuggles!

This was a commission project to paint up 18 Thousand Sons Marines (including 2 sorcerers) to match some existing models. I also painted up a handful of lava bases. The Thousand Sons Marines are pretty standard coloration wise. I partially assembled them for ease of painting using a combination of wet blending and layering. Aside from the sheer number of figures at once the biggest challenge I found was matching up the metal and plastic parts. Why on earth couldn't they just make them all metal or all plastic! ( I ended up destroying a Windsor and Newton brush on these guys but I think the results turned out well.

As for the lava bases - This was my first time doing a lava base - so it was kind of an experiment. What I did is glued some irregular cork tile to the bases and then in the emply areas filled it with white glue. Once Dry I added a few more layers of glue. On some of the bases I had first glued down some sillicon balls (the kind you find in little packets in electronics to keep them dry) to the base to create bubbles. The white glue dried around them to make them appear as part of the lava. I think this worked out very well.

Painting wise what i did was first paint the rock. I started with a dark grey and drybrushed on lighter greys. The lava I started with a dark brown red, and wet blended a lighter red, orange, orange/yellow mix, yellow and finally a yellow/white mix to the tip tops of the bubbles. Because the paint was wet as I layered in some instances the colors mixed in an interesting pattern. Overall I am pleased with how they came out - though if I did them again I would probably try to create more of an irregular surface with the glue by maybe adding smaller dots of glue over the dry base coat of glue to create a more "rippled" look to the bases. This was my first time with trying a light effect. I started by drybrushed a darker red, then orange, and finally a touch of yellow near where the bubbles were.

As always comments, criticisms, suggestions are always welcomed. Now on to some smaller projects! :w00t:

Cheers,

-Mike

Last edited by slorak; February 20th, 2007 at 18:11.

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Relaxes from Slorak withdrawal symptoms.

Those lava bases are phenomenal.

Well done.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Nicely done, man. I really like your OSL. well done, good effect.

Keep em coming!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Those models are very well painted. I like how well the colours are used together. I understand fully your problems with the metal and plastic thing. Metal and plastic work very well on their own but they don't like to work together. The blending of the yellow on the Sorcerers helmets is especially good.

The gold and cloth effects are very good too. I really like the contrast that has been created on those parts of the models.

I think those lava bases are well done. I think that they need more yellow though. Lava tends in real life to look one of two ways. It is either with very limited obvious variation in colour, often seeming to be almost a pure orange or yellow. At other times it appears as an extremely strong contrast between yellow and deep reds but mainly black. It is usually seen with this contrast in darker areas.

Your lava would appear to be the latter. I would say add some yellow blotches and deepen the red/orange areas to a near black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Thanks guys! The OSL was my first attempt. Did a lot of research on it before giving it a shot. It didn't quite turn out how I envisioned it but it looks ok. Thanks again!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful 'Sons, and those lava bases are AMAZING! Great work!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

The lava bases compliment very well the blue/yellow color scheme of the T.S's. Everything is painted brilliant, especially the distinct horizontal color lines on the head pieces. You should be proud of the squad.

One thing: I can't tell if it's the image or the actual models, but based upon the images alone, I think you may want to add a little more detail to the large blue sections of the models. They appear a little drab. Like I said, this could be the images.

Good work. Rep well deserved.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Nothing to add really, except to say they look great, buddy. Good to have you back

The scorcerors are the stand out models in my opinion, the (I assume) wet-blending on the blades and 'crests' looks fantastic, and really marks them out as special.

Are the lava bases for these guys, or are they for a different project?
    Just wondering, as I thought Dr.Snuggles was getting the Leprechaun guys to do him some TS, and they had dessert bases, the same as yours do atm...

So, congrats to Dr.Snuggles on a lovely army, and more congrats to Slorak on the great painting

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

No the lava bases were for another project not the Thousand Sons. I don't know what he is using them for. Maybe he will jump in and let you know. The leprechaun guys are doing some amazing stuff.

Cheers,

-Mike

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

Holy Junk Batman!

Very nice work, as usual. I love what you did with the lava bases, very good effects there. I tried some lava bases a couple years ago for my necrons. Yea, They were pretty cool. Some sand painted straight grey, and then straight red painted onto the base with gloss varnish.

Okay, end of rant/reminiscence (?). Great jorb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast