Librarium Online Forums banner

Advice on color due to some "fluff" (Dark angels)

501 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Chaoschrist 
#1 ·
I'm asking for some advice for painting and an somewhat obvious fluff reason for the Dark angels.

I'm planning to begin a DA army, and most likely I'll add some scout snipers in the army too. Now my question is... fluff related; the cloaks they're wearing, is it just some kind of camouflage thing, or is it something else.

Now the painting question is... I'm planing on doing desert bases on my DA. So what would be the most suitable to paint the DA? Desert scheme? Or a single colour.. and also perhaps someone tried something like desert yellow before... does it mix in with the DA green?

I'm not to sure about the desert basing... I have most of my armies in greyish or urban bases, so I'd like to try something different now.

#2 ·
Space Marine Scouts usually wear camoflauge appropriate to thier surroundings, so in a desert landscape they would probably wear light and dark browns, with a few greens and yellows chucked in for good measure.
I suppose it isn't impossible that they might wear ceremonial or decoartive 'camo', but I'd say go for something that vaguely matches the bases they're on.

As for painting, look at some 'real' camoflauge patterns, and try swapping colours around. Desert is much browner than you would think, and probably quite a bit more rocky. Light browns (Bleached Bone, Snakebite Leather etc) would make a good base-coat, then either paint some blobby patches, or stipple over some darker browns (Scorched Brown perhaps), before adding a few smaller yellow accents.

As for making a desert base, ask Kuffy, he's got some good ones going on in his Scions of Ra marine army (see the Projects forum), but I'd guess grab some sand (preferably with small rocks in it, for variety), and glue it down to your base.
Then (and this is where I start guessing), paint the whole lot scorched brown, drybrush with snakebite leather, drybrush with elf flesh, drybrush with bleached bone. Perfick.
Bear in mind, that is just using colours I have available. I'm sure there are better (more apropriate) GW paints out there...

Lets see some pics when you have somethng done :)

-t.

#3 ·
Advice/questions on Dark angels & their company marks (somewhat fluff related)

Space Marine Scouts usually wear camoflauge appropriate to thier surroundings, so in a desert landscape they would probably wear light and dark browns, with a few greens and yellows chucked in for good measure.
I suppose it isn't impossible that they might wear ceremonial or decoartive 'camo', but I'd say go for something that vaguely matches the bases they're on.
Well, I always kept in mind, that 40.000 years in the future we'd probably have some kind of scanner (or in 40k terms, an Auspex for example) thus nullifying the use of camo pretty much. As for Tyranids... they'd probably pick up the scent of a marine. But anyway, I decided to make a start with Bubonic brown cloaks (fortress grey inside) and make some camo from that color.

Now for a new question regarding company marks. Where are they shown? On the kneepads? If they've got older mk armor (y know.. the ones without small kneepads) where do they go?

And a final one... where do scouts carry their marks? The squadnumber is on the right shoulder and the chapter icon on the left. But what about the companymark?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.