Seeking advice for SM chapter colors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Seeking advice for SM chapter colors

Hi:

So, I'm still assembling and getting ready to paint my 'crons, but when I'm done I'm jumping headlong into honing my haphazard Space Marines and Daemonhunters model collections into something useable.

I was going to convert what few SM models I have into a Dark Angels army, but I've decided instead that I can write fluff for a custom chapter that fits in nicely with the Daemonhunters inquisitor I have in mind, and it's even giving me some ideas for a sweet converted IG regiment down the road.

For now, I'm focusing on the marines. I wanna introduce the fluff for all three human armies at once in the fluff forum later on, but the gist of the marines are they will be a chapter that rebelled against its master and minions when he turned to Chaos. The chapter purged the taint, but were forced to abandon their homeworld and go on a 200-year penitent crusade, hunting down more tainted brethren.

The tentative name is the Emperor's Ronin, or possibly Desert Ronin (not sure I'm married to the whole Japanese theme that would inspire, tho), and my big concern is color scheme. I really like the look of earth tones, such as on the Deathwing terminators or Kuffy's chapter (clicky! (Scions Of Ra Army Building)) but I'm thinking that might have been what they ONCE looked like, being from a desert planet.

But they can't use that now because I'm thinking they've changed their color scheme to suit their new name and quest, but I'm at a total loss on what would be appropriate. Trouble is, I like the "chalky," kinda "dusty," not-as-bright-and-shiny look that the bleached bone gives on the deathwings, and I wanna reproduce that with a different scheme. I thought maybe some sort of blue-gray would look good, but I can't think of a series of colors (base, highlight, etc.) that wouldn't look Space Wolfs-ish. I also thought a "mustard" color might work -- in other words, yellow but not the bright canary tones of the Imperial Fists. Basically, I wanna have something that has dark undertones and a lighter but muted topcoat, like the wolves or the Deathwing.

I'm also not enough of a color expert to know what would be appropriate for an army with this theme. Any ideas out there?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

maybe for the blue grey color use shadow grey. i believe thats the darkest bluish grey color. maybe just do some extreme highlites with space wolf grey. then it might not look space wolfish. or if its like on clokes or something, you can highlight with a mix of shadow and SW grey.

i believe bubanic brown is a sort of yellowish-brown you could maybe use for that mustard color you liked.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

For the colour scheme what you seem to want is colours that aren't in-your-face. You want them to look penitent and not really the kind of Marines that want to declare thier devotion to the Emperor though big banners etc, but thorugh their actions.

First of all you could consider white. It is, technically the brightest paint but it will be viewed in the context it is presented. You could paint battle damage on it or dirt to help show the penitent attitude. They are Marines who care more about getting the job done than looking good while they do it.

You also seem to have an interest in the greys, you mentioned Space wolves. You could try a mix of a light grey and green. Depending on the green used you will get a varied effect. If the green is goblin green they will have a warmer colour. If you use scaly green they will be colder and more serious looking. Basically a greenish grey look.

You said that they originated from a desert planet but now they don't live there. You could use a remainder of this older colour scheme on them to help balance the newer colours. Perhaps bleached bone with the green. Use the bone on areas like thier knee pads etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    First of all you could consider white. It is, technically the brightest paint but it will be viewed in the context it is presented. You could paint battle damage on it or dirt to help show the penitent attitude. They are Marines who care more about getting the job done than looking good while they do it.
    Fair enough. I am trying to avoid white, just because I fear they will turn into White Scars. I want something that will, at a glance, look somewhat unique. Maybe I could use a base of gray, be it codex or shadow gray (I've got plenty of both on hand), then instead of highlighting with straight white, like the White Scars, I could try bleached bone, or is that a color that works best with other "earth" tones?

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    You said that they originated from a desert planet but now they don't live there. You could use a remainder of this older colour scheme on them to help balance the newer colours. Perhaps bleached bone with the green. Use the bone on areas like thier knee pads etc.
    Yeah, this is another thing I'm wrestling with, just how to "honor" their past through the paint scheme. I was thinking kneepads, or one of the shoulder pads, not sure yet. Thanks for the ideas!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Yeah, this is another thing I'm wrestling with, just how to "honor" their past through the paint scheme. I was thinking kneepads, or one of the shoulder pads, not sure yet. Thanks for the ideas!
    You could try to use some parts instead of paint work. If they originally came from a desrt planet perhaps they have something with them the kept. You could have them with the scaly skins of some sort of giant lizard. The idea being to get the skins they must have a scrap with a giant lizard, a sort of rite-of-passage thing.

The scales could be painted in a dry, brownish earth tone to fit in with the earthy colours you want to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If you want a nice dirty bone color here is basically what I do. I base with bone and then wash it with brown ink and/or smoke glaze (vallejo game or model color). Then I start highlight first with straight bone and then adding white/off white to this. Really depends on your commitment to detail how subtle you do your blends but even at its most basic you are looking at maybe 4 steps. That is what I did with my Sons of Dorn figures.

As for a color scheme that would work with the bone color - Have you thought about a crimson color? Quite possible a Deep purple as well... though then you start falling into looking like the soul drinkers.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    If you want a nice dirty bone color here is basically what I do. I base with bone and then wash it with brown ink and/or smoke glaze (vallejo game or model color). Then I start highlight first with straight bone and then adding white/off white to this. Really depends on your commitment to detail how subtle you do your blends but even at its most basic you are looking at maybe 4 steps. That is what I did with my Sons of Dorn figures.

As for a color scheme that would work with the bone color - Have you thought about a crimson color? Quite possible a Deep purple as well... though then you start falling into looking like the soul drinkers.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

-Mike
    Yeah, I've done some work with bone already, but my big concern is how this will all work over a blue-gray undercoat. Will the colors clash?

BTW, the current White Dwarf has an interesting scheme I'm leaning toward in the "how to make Space Marines have chipped armor" article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I take it to mean that by blue grey undercoat you have them already undercoated and you are looking to change the color and want to know if you go with a bone scheme if that will ruin the look of the bone?

If you mean how will bone look next to a blue grey - I would say that both colors would be too light for each other. Otherwise after a few layers you should cover up the blue grey.

If I am getting it wrong - please post pictures...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    I take it to mean that by blue grey undercoat you have them already undercoated and you are looking to change the color and want to know if you go with a bone scheme if that will ruin the look of the bone?

If you mean how will bone look next to a blue grey - I would say that both colors would be too light for each other. Otherwise after a few layers you should cover up the blue grey.

If I am getting it wrong - please post pictures...
    Don't have pictures, or even paint on the models yet I'm trying to decide how TO paint them.

Sorry if I've confused you guys. Lemme rephrase: I want to paint them with a color scheme that it characterful but not "bright," and a good example is the Deathwing and other examples.

I want something similar, and was thinking about using a blue-gray (such as Citadel Shadow Gray) as an undercoat, followed with a Bleached Bone main coat (leaving the gray in all the recesses, cracks etc.) and finishing it off with a Skull White highlight, so it's light but not squeaky clean, per se. Shoulder pads and gun casings will probably have a Regal Blue undercoat and highlight with Ultramarines Blue.

My question: The bone on the Deathwing termies looks fine, because the basecoat is made up of earth tones. Do you guys think bone over a blueish tone, like Shadow Gray, will look all right? What about up against the blue of the pads? I can just "try it and see," but if you guys have any advice beforehand, I'd most appreciate it.

Thanks again, all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

I would use brown instead of grey with the bone. It will most likely look better and still give you a "dirty" look.

cheers,

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast