Venerable Dreadnought - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Venerable Dreadnought

I have been working on the dreadnoughts for mn SW army.
    I got myself the metal venerable dreadnought and a normal one but the metal dreadnought has a gap in the body that is 2mm large and beyond my ability to fix/fill, so i made the plastic one to my venerable.

now what do you ppl think of it and if someone has some tips to make him nicer just shout

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Hey Nexus, thats a nice start mate. I'm not a huge fan of the GW metal venerable dreadnought so kudos to you for trying to convert your own. What you have got so far is pretty good - plenty of purity seals and the like. I do have some suggestions however:

- The dread's shin pads are a little plain. If you could fill them with something I think that would add to the model. Maybe some more SW iconography, some icon of axes, anything you associate with the feral nature of the Space wolves.

- A couple more shots of the dread to see what it is like from other angles would be nice

- Mount him on a suitably impressive base, perhaps standing atop a rocky outcrop amongst piles of dead foes. I do think a well made base would really add to this model.

- The usual skulls, purity seals/scrolls and imperial eagle style decorations would go down very well on this guy. You have plenty on now but if you find a gap that looks too bare you can always stick some more on

- Perhaps a little work on the dread CCW. This would help set him apart from the 'average' dread ('average' dread seems like a contradiction in terms - fluffy terms anyway). Perhaps you could use the metal one from the GW venerable dread for parts.

Good stuff buddy. I like what you have done with it. Please post up some pictures when it is painted and ready

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

I really think that if you could make the cc weapon much more like the normal space wolf dread cc weapon, maybe a claw or something appropriately wolfy, it would look much cooler. Maybe a wolf head or something with the storm bolter in its mouth. That might be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I am not a huge fan of that metal Dread either. I suggest you work to make this guy look more unique. Try to do something to him which is complicated and will make people wonder how you did it. That is always a good way of raising a models status, and a Venerable Dreadnought is a machine of greater status.

Add more purity seals etc, and give him a more unique close combat weapon. Add long spikes to it. Also extra work on his base is a good way of making him stand out more. Skulls or slain enemies can work well. Rubble or a large rock for him to stand/pose on.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very good start. Heres are great tips for ven dreads:

-Stick on as many decorations as possivble, and in your case, more wolf things would be a winner. For my own ven. dread, I stuck on every decoration it comes with and then some more; black templar bits add a very 'shriney' feel, as dreads are walking relics of wisdom and strength.

-For my own dread, it has gained more decorations over time, to represent a new occupant, as over the course of Medusa V, my Captain, Varro was mortally wounded by Ygethmor during his vendetta, and he had fought 'nids before hand, so I added a couple of 'nid carapace plates to his leg, and studs to the other, made by dripping solder onto somthing, then gluing the hard studs on.

-Consider some battle damage prehaps? A few large bullet holes and scrapes could make the model look gnarled and battle-hardened.

-Just use your imagination and you can't really go wrong!
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first glance, it looks like a really well balanced model. Not too much visual clutter pulling your eye in just one direction.

...but that just isn't how the Space Wolves work.

Kidding. Some more purity seals and wolfy references would be nice, though. I've tried the ol' "Storm Bolter through a Wolf's Head" trick and it can look awesome, but it can be tricky. I think a real elaborate banner would go nice on the flagstaff there. Something to do with the chapter's history or this Dread's personal battle-career would go well, I think. But other than that, very well built model. Plastic was definitley the way to go. Pewter Dreads are a pain in the keister and weigh about 20 lbs. A snow-themed base would also set it up well and make him look right at home on ol' Fenris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Thx for the replies so far

And here is an updated Powerclaw

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Much better IMO. Some more details like wolf pelts/purity seals etc would be great on that claw.

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Yes that model looks much better now he has a big snappy powerclaw to grab undesirebles with. I haven't seen anything of the back and powerplant yet. I think it would be a good idea to do some wotk on the rear area as well as the front, it will make him look more complete.

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

The new power claw is excellent; I also like the twin smoke launchers.
    As said before more wolfy bitz, pelts of fur, necklaces of teeth/claws hanging off weapons etc and 'runes', lots of.
    Looking good so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast