Librarium Online Forums banner

[40k] Death Guard DP WIP (Pictures)

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Damo 
#1 ·
My new Deathguard slowly starts taking shape and this is the DP to lead them in big battles.

Parts used:
SM Assault Marine legs
SM Frag Grenades
SM shoulderpads
CSM Torso
Chaos Vehicle Accessory sprue 1 (skull)
WHFB Skeleton warrior sprue - 1998
Cenobite Servitor 2 (the one that comes with the BT Grimaldus)

In addition I used lots of Greenstuff, Miliput (for the base of the cloak), plasticard (Scythe blade) and random bits of plastic and basing material.

Things left to do:
T the greenstuff needs to be cleaned up especially where the wings meet the back and on the right arm, I am thinking about changing the shoulder pads a little bit (some of the spikes need to be turned a bit, or maybe leave one of them clean to paint a symbol on later).

Questions and comments are welcome and appreciated.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
It looks clean Gorbass, but it appears to have tiny patches of nurgle-ness to it. Looks like there might be a nurgling poping out of his knee joint, but my eyes might be playing tricks on me. Not all nurgle daemons are visible plaguers, some are lucky and get the tiny air-bound virus form. Those are the most powerful too, and that DP is just gleaming with power :yes:

------edit-addition---------------
Woo post 360, my circle is complete! O

#9 ·
Beautiful, simply beautiful. If my skill has half of yours I might actually post some of my minis :yes: Is your whole army going to be like this or will it be all Nurgle-ish and gross? If it's like this then I definitely want to see more.

#10 ·
Jaffar_Hasad said:
It looks clean Gorbass, but it appears to have tiny patches of nurgle-ness to it. Looks like there might be a nurgling poping out of his knee joint, but my eyes might be playing tricks on me.
There is a daemon coming out of his knee joint - but it is supposed to be a Plague Bearer. Fluff-wise his invulnerable save and extra attack (D. Mutation and Save) come from having a Plague Bearer bound into his armor.

Jaffar_Hasad said:
Not all nurgle daemons are visible plaguers, some are lucky and get the tiny air-bound virus form. Those are the most powerful too, and that DP is just gleaming with power :yes:
That is my reasoning, too. Sickness and disease take many forms. And in my DP's case he did not become bloated and enormous, but rather skinny and emaciated (sp?).

sonofslaanesh said:
Is your whole army going to be like this or will it be all Nurgle-ish and gross? If it's like this then I definitely want to see more.
The whole army is going to be (kind of) like this - with cloaks and rather lean. I am currently working on that. I will post some picks at some point (in the hopefully not too distant) future.

EDIT:
once he is painted he won't be looking so clean anymore. I wanto to go for a dirty off-white battleworn look.

#11 ·
Sorry for digging up old threads, but I finally had a chance to paint him up and I finally got my new digicam today.:

Somehow the lighting in my apartment made him less pale than he is.

I am totally not happy with the scythe blade. So I am open for any suggestions on how to paint it. It is described as being rusty in the fluff, so that is what I did, but it doesn't look right. :(

Any ideas?

#12 ·
I think the scyth would look really good if you would make the sharpened part bright silver, while the rest of the blade would be silver coated and then dry brushed with brown showing a good case of rusting metal. Makes sense since deathguard are ...dead, sick, bloated, rusty and ect so why shouldnt their weapons be the same??? Might also consider putting some dry looking blood on it, showing like he killed stuff a while ago and still has blood left on the scyth.

#13 ·
I would do the whole scythe blade in boltgun metal, highlight the edge in mithril silver like wraith suggested, and then at the end wash the whole blade in a 1:1 mixture of dwarven bronze and water. I have never liked doing flat brown rust and find that the bronze looks really good.

Imo right now it just looks like he dropped the scythe in the mud rather than it being rusty.

Reactions: Lamenter
#17 ·
Thats one of the nicest models i've seen in awhile. I actually like the scythe blade. I don't like that wonky red thing attaching the scythe blade to the shaft of the weapon. I'm not a fan of that, but maybe its just the color or lighting that makes me dislike it. Overall, thats an amazing model. If he is even more pale than the pic reveals, it would probably look very nice if you did alittle bit of weathering, especially around his legs.

#19 ·
Great conversion. I am very impressed. Expert use of green stuff.

The rust looks fine to me. You may just be upset with it because it is more brown and that doesn't stand out well. I think you either neither to accept how close it is or instead go really daemonic looking to match the haft.

#20 ·
you could make the rust more patchy, like so:

by wateering down the paint and applying different layers of differently diluted paint

you could add contrast by making the metal more silvery and making the rust darker and adding streaks, like so:

or you could add raised layers of rust, like its chipped:

last but not least you could simply add small spots in a darker, mmore reddish brown:

hope that helps!

#21 ·
Thank you very much for all the kind words.

Maelstrom said:
I don't like that wonky red thing attaching the scythe blade to the shaft of the weapon.
it is supposed to be a living daemon weapon, so I tried to make it look like it was living. It is a bit more pale, too, so it doesn't stand out as much as it does on the picture. You are correct however, it kind of doesn't fit right. So I might still change it to a rotting flesh finish.

spikeymonkey said:
[...]
Also, I find that for rust, it looks a bit more realistic to use orange rather than brown. because rust aint actually brown.
HeZu said:
lots of nice pics
The blade on the real miniature looks a bit more orange and closer to what you have on those pictures (I actually used some of the pictures you have posted as inspiration for the piece).

The problem I have is, that the scythe blade being in more or less constant use and having a daemon bound in it would not have time to get that "dry rot" that those pictures and my blade show at the moment. So my problem is not the rust finish, but the fact that now I think it shouldn't be rusted so much at all. Instead I would like to show the daemonic nature of that blade (however that works out :w00t: ).

P.s.: I did win best individual 40k miniature at my local GW last weekend with it. I am kind of proud. Especially since it was the hardest cathegory out of the three. :D

#22 ·
The problem I have is, that the scythe blade being in more or less constant use and having a daemon bound in it would not have time to get that "dry rot" that those pictures and my blade show at the moment.
c'mon! it's nurgle! i'm sure he can rust a blade like that in a split second if he wants to!

i think it's key here to make it look like rust actually looks, never mind if its not realistic (fluffwise) to have that kind of rust on a weapon like this.

If it really looks like realworld-rust people are going to look at it and say "wow! thats rust!".

I say go for the dry hot effect

#24 ·
True, this prince does not seem very nurgle, but the fact that you have constructed that masterpiece will override all that and the day you bring that into your local game shop, you will walk higher than they are, even if just for one day, and all will respect that models awesomness.

P.S. REP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.