Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I've just finished revamping my Guard armoured vehicles. I stripped them down, replaced some of the weapons e.g 'stubbers' on turrets, changed the las-cannons on the LR's, new turrets on the Chimera's and track guards all round (because I think they look nice). Then just sprayed black over the old paint and got on with it.
What do you think?
Last edited by Ash; March 20th, 2007 at 17:44.
Oooh! These look awesome. The weathering done on these is amazing, and you did a great job with the crew on the salamander . I'm getting ready to paint a razorback for my dark angels, which will be the first tank I've painted... well... ever. If I can manage to do half as well, I'll count myself lucky.
Thanks for the photos, sir. Strong work!
Did this one last year,I think.
From a distance it looks like a brown blob!
Last edited by Ash; March 15th, 2008 at 13:33. Reason: replaced/updated link
Your color schemes are great. I may be asking for your help when I get ready to start on my tanks, if you don't mind.
Great weathering! As usual for you, looks great, my favourites are actually the first and last pictures, the Chim (I think) and the two Russes.
Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
Send me a hello if you remember me.
Dude...you totally rock!!! How did you paint it all...please give me some detail becuase i would dearly like to reproduce some of the effect you got going there. SOme of the most real looking tanks i have seen.
Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.
The paint job on these was, honestly, fairly simple. The hard part, which was self inflicted was to try and do them all at the same time, a total of eight AFV’s , two were just touch ups, as I had already tested the paint scheme on them and just added some weathering. The other six where stripped down and had a bit of re-work and a new paint job.
Once assembled, they all had a couple of coats of ‘chaos black’ primer, to cover up the old paint work. They were then sprayed Tamiya ‘Nato green’ TS-61. Once dry the camo ‘stripes’ were sprayed on with Tamiya ‘Light sand’ TS-46. You need to keep the nozzle of the can fairly close to avoid a ‘misting effect’. Best to practice on a piece of paper to judge the distance. I also tried the reverse, by spraying some of the tanks sand first, with green stripes and now, with all the stowage and weathering painted, I can’t tell which was which, so I’d say both ways are equally effective.
Once the base coat was dry, they all received a thin wash with very dilute brown ink. I mixed up a lot of this in an old pot first and added a tiny amount of washing up liquid (tiny!) to mess up the surface tension. Another way that I’m going to try next is to dilute some ‘raw umber’ oil paint in white spirit as it seems to flow over the spray paint better than the ink.
The chipped paint was really easy if a little time consuming. Again self inflicted, as once I started distressing the paint I found it hard to stop. To make the sand areas look worn I painted on the chips and scratches with Vallejo ‘reflective green’ 890, which is an almost perfect match for the Tamiya spray. On top of these I painted Vallejo ‘German cam. Black Brown’ 822, (which when dry looks uncannily like bare metal that has been exposed to the elements for some time). For areas that look like they see a lot of activity I put a little ‘gun metal’ and on others a very thin wash of Vallejo ‘Red Leather’ 818, which dries to a good rust effect. I used the same effect on the green areas using Vallejo ‘buff’ 976 followed by the same metal effect. Obviously paint all the green and buff chips first, then all the metal.
That did all the ‘tank’ paint, no dry brushing at all. Stowage and weapon were painted; base coat, dry brushed highlights.
Tracks and other areas lots of mud, then the whole thing dusted with weathering pigments, and matt varnished.
Last edited by Ash; March 17th, 2007 at 20:59.
Plain and simple, these are works of art.
Great job! I only hope my tanks come out looking half as nice!