Drybrushing Rust? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Drybrushing Rust?

I have the Ogre Kingdoms army book, and the method in there for creating rust is to stipple. I'm wondering if drybrushing could be used instead. Any thoughts?

If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

If its a large flat peice of bare metal, drybrushing could look ok. If its rusty paintwork, or something with some texture, I would paint over with a thin wash of a suitable coloured paint like GW 'Vermin fur', 'Terracotta' or Vallejo 'Red Leather' 818. So that you can see a bit of the metalic tone showing through, it works like shading as it pools in the recesses.
    One example:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...cannonteam.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Yeah, I think you could definitely use drybrushing, but you would have to pick your location and when to use it as I think the stippling technique would be more versatile.

Rusty weapons could be done with drybrushing. Getting a streaked effect that could suggest a cutting action scoring the metal surface. Or on the side of tanks if you combined it with some scratches...
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Gobbo E-zine: Painting Metal
    how to paint rust and other metal effects
    drybrushing doesnt realy work very well cause rust tend to form in cracks and crevises
    waiting for the sunrise!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Rust, grime, dirt, oil; all of these things can be achieved with a special wash using vallejo "smoke." It works wonders, but you will need to water it down and use some glaze medium to keep it from drying out too fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Stippling is very much like drybrushing only it is much much more controlled. Drybrushing in general really doesn't produce very precise looks. I personally really reserve drybrushing for things like rock. concrete, or other rough surfaces.

If you don't want a thick color you can still blot off most of the paint before you start stippling, combine it with some ink glazes and build up a look to the rust that you are trying to achieve.

many color suggestions were already given. Orange ink can work very well alone or in conjunction with some of the above mentioned colors. You can also get rust powders and a company called modern options makes a rust agent that looks very authentic (it basically is - with a liquid iron solution and a rust accelarant). So there are lots of choices to get a look you want.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

Just bare one thing in mind if you chose to try the 'Stippling' technique.
    Use a mid sized knackered (well past its best) brush. Because if it isn't before you start, it most certainly will be by the time you finish!
    Ash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Yeah no kidding. Definitely don't want to use your best brush with the nice sharp point.

I find that both the flat brushes and the round ones that don't necessarily come to a sharp point to work best for both drybrushing and stippling.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread