Ven. Dread. Help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ven. Dread. Help.

After being inspired by a particularly nice all plastic Ven. Dread. conversion, I've decided to drop the Tau and take on SW's. I'm having a little trouble with my own Dread., however. First off, I have a huge weakness in model 'clean up'. What are the techniques for cleaning up a model after you've gotten it out of the sprue? Of particular interest to me are the little marks left after you use clippers. They kind of look like little raised triangles. That, and flash lines. Also, I'll probably be using ALOT of wolf pelts, tails, skulls, etc. from other SW sprues, but what about icons? I saw a nice article about custom icons made from molding greenstuff. They were raised, so to speak, not static, like decals. Lastly, what's everyone's opinion on materials or bits for banner and standard poles? This Ven. Dread. is going to include a standard, but I can't think of what to use to hold it up. Thanks for the help!

P.S.- I'll try to keep a W.I.P. in painting if anyone cares to check him out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

g'day

fisrt off, way to go, **** the tau SW rule. now the little triangles, use a sharp hobby knife to cut them off, the mold lines draw a sharp hobby knife over them until they are gone, or file them to nothing with a file... icons... the SW accessory spru comes with a diamond shaped thingy that works perfect for banners and dreadnought plates.

As far as GS casting goes,to make your own details, i know exactly how to do it, but dont know if telling is agaisnst the rules here, so ill hold off on giving you a step by step til i know better.

Cheers
    92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Prog rock FTW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Beatonthis gives good advice - a sharp modelling knife used carefully to cut down the tabs and mould lines works well. Just take your time to start off with until you get the hang of how to do it - doesnt take long to get good at it. A small file is also a good thing, and can help immensly when cleaning up models. I often use my knife to cut the excess plastic almost completely off and then finish off with a file to get a smooth finish.

Any SW plastics will have the icons and stuff you are looking for. Raised GS icons look great, cost you very little money and are completely customisible. They require some practice to get right however, so have a go on a plain piece of card or a space model before commiting to do the dread. Another source of SW icons would be Forgeworld. Here is a link to the Space marine icon section of the FW site---> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...SORIES_29.html

For banners just have a good browse through the GW site. There are plenty of large banners you could use for a dread, such as the one that comes with the SM command squad (the big company banner thing - looks good on dreads). Also, the Terminator back banners look good on dreads, so take a look and see what takes your fancy. If you are especially adventurous then you could make you own banner out of plastic/brass tubing and plasticard sheets.

Hope these suggestions help matey. A WIP for this project would be welcomed - I always like to see other people models. Good luck with the dread:yes:.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

+ Reply to Thread