Librarium Online Forums banner

Aiel cadin'sor color scheme

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RecklessFable 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm trying to do a color scheme that is reminicent of the camoflage the Aiel use in the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novels. It is called the cadin'sor and is a blend of greys and browns that blend in with rocky, mountainous and desert terrain. (In the books they add green when they start to spend more time near forests iirc)

Anyways, here is the rough version. I'd appreciate any comments that might help me keep with the spirit of the idea while still making the models look interesting.

I used Codex Grey and then kinda drybrushed Graveyard Earth along the natural flow of the fabrics. The boots and packs are Scorched Brown:

See less See more
#3 ·
I had always thought of the caidin sor as being Camo made from brown as the primary colour, with grey and similar tone highlights (splotches). What your model looks like is just a single grey colour, you want to break up the outline of the model using the differing colours.

Reactions: RecklessFable
#4 ·
I agree that there's not enough contrast in the colouring, but I've actually seen IG armies work well that way - if this is what you go for I would simply suggest that you do more of the dry-brushing ( or maybe just not-quite-so-dry brushing ) but I think you can solve this problem quite easily.

As it's painted black I can't really tell what it is, but on the shoulder pad on the model's right there seems to be some decal - if you painted this a colour ( I'm thinking either a light or sharp blue or a sort of redish colour, as opposed to black, grey, brown, white, etc. those are not colours :lol: )

Also in any case if you gradually increase the amount of drybrushing you do as you go down the boot with a large amount towards the very bottom it will make them look dirty and make the models stand out a bit more - as an alternative you might also just try painting the boots with whatever colour you're dry brushing the rest of the model with, but I would probably advise against that.

All in all I would just experiment adding some more colour to the model, and if you come up with something re-port it and I'm sure the community would be glad you at least tell you if the new one is ebtter or not.

Cheers, and happy painting :D

*EDIT*
Oh hey I totally forgot, this won't really add much colouring to the model but if you add some silver bits to the gun it will certainly make the model look a lot more interesting and justify fewer changes on the other parts of the model.

Good luck painting IG, huge armies can be quite a hill to climb :D

#5 ·
Now with better photos!

I added more Graveyard Earth to the model by using it as a primary color on the shoulder pads and pants.

I drybrushed a little Bestial Brown on the boots and leather items for highlights and used Bleached Bone for the shoulder skull with Tin Bitx for the wings.

It kinda breaks the total camo look, but adds to the impact of the model. I didn't do much with the gun but paint it black and drybrush boltgun metal.

The Aiel cadin-sor most likely have more brown base, since they hailed from more of an earthy wasteland, my lads are ready for cityfighting as well. I'm probably not going to add green since I'm kinda liking this look with the neutral tones.

I also have an idea for an honor guard color scheme, but I might not have the models left for it once I paint up the first platoon of 55 Tallarn models. I refuse to buy more :p

#6 ·
At the very moment the brown on the cloth look more like dirt than like a camo, but actually I like it. To add some more shades to your mini I would recommend highlighting the boots and trousers with some slightly lighter colours. as a first step a thin layer of the Bestial Brown you used on the cloth would be great on the boots and maybe something like Kommando Khaki, Desert Yellow or maybe even Bleached Bone would look good on the trousers. The last one should be mixed with the base colour, pure it may be too bright.

#7 ·
I'm confused. In the second pic, where's the guy? :D

The trooper blends in with your cat so perfectly...

Actually, that cat looks exactly like my cat that died last year...

Much better now. I especially love that honor guard color scheme.

#8 ·
My cat has great camo, when she hides her white belly, she belnds in with so many things. The grey and brown fur with a touch of black is actually very similar to my Aiel concept of camo too!

I went with predominantly grey for cityfight and I just remembered my original name for the unit was the 45th Rivan Warders (David Eddings reference from the Belgariad) "Grim faced, Grey-Cloaked Rivans"

I guess I'm blending my litereary references, but that is what GW is all about! Just look at WFB! :w00t:

I think now that I've got the basic part of my painting locked down I'm going to have to start a project log. I've actually gotten a second full model done as a "technique test" and started with bascoating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.