Daemonettes (not safe for work or school) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Daemonettes (not safe for work or school)

As I am (slowly) creating a Beasts of Slaanesh army, I have been looking for an interesting colour scheme for my Daemonettes

This is the first time I have painted ‘supernatural’ beings, I wanted some way to indicate that they are not of this plane of existence, so the standard straightforward pallid flesh effect would not suffice.

I thought about various horror movies and one effect that is always disconcerting is when a face is lit from underneath – we have all seen it. This got me thinking that the Daemonettes could possibly adjust the way that light appeared to be reflected on their skin – like the T-1000 in Terminator 2 - to achieve a sort of threat/seduction display.

In painting terms this would sort of conjoin with the notion of Object Source Lighting, so that a Daemonette might appear to be lit by invisible coloured lights or suns on different sides of their bodies – which should produce the unsettling sort of effect I had in mind.

Okay so that’s the theory, so what colours to actually use? Slaanesh is usually themed with magenta pinks and blue-purples so that might be the way to go.

I puzzled over this until I found a picture of a person in a tanning capsule. Yes it was a female-type person, and yes she didn’t seem to be wearing any clothes, so I can’t share it here. But it did have a really unnatural (although rather sensuous) and very pink/magenta/purple lighting ambiance so it was an excellent inspiration for something Slaaneshi.

Anyway, I displayed the picture fullscreen on my lap-top as I tried to replicate the lighting, and came up with this result. Its early days yet, this should be regarded as a test piece only and I’m still mulling it over. And I have yet to work out a methodology of painting forty or so Daemonettes (which I’m sure will involve use of my trusty precision airbrush, which is ideal for doing highly directional spraying – as if light were hitting a mini from one direction only).

The pink is fairly okay IMHO, but the blue has turned out to be rather green rather than the blue-purple I wanted - so I will adjust that on the next test piece.

Also, some of the kit worn by the Daemonette works (for me) - the hair is Tanned Flesh, the Mithril Silver bracelets and jewellry, the lioncloth is Scab Red - however I have yet to do somthing satisfactory with the large arm-slashy-thing.

But what do you guys think?

Last edited by Hard A**; April 13th, 2007 at 13:11.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I think the Daemonette looks great. one of the best Daemonetes i've ever seen.

I don't like her Daemonic talon though, it looks odd and out of place... don't know why, the talon is just not pleasing to the eye.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

That is some sexy coloring, Aun! Very "otherworldly". I hope you run with it for these Demonettes.

I can't wait to see a whole unit of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadair View Post
    I can't wait to see a whole unit of those.
    heheh nor can I!

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Is the purple supposed to be a lighting effect or just a skin effect?

As a skin effect, it looks great, but it seems much too.... well, part of the skin, to be a lightning effect. Does that make any sense?

It looks good, but I'm not 100% sure what effect you're going for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

Well it's supposed to be a lighting effect. However, as the human eye is very good at seeing if such lighting effects 'work' or not, i.e. noticing that either it is a realistic lighting effect or not, I have decided that I am really going to have to break out the Airbrush for the next test figure. An Airbrush, as you should realise, if you play it on a figure from one direction only (say directly above) with a light coloured pigment, will give the distinct impression that it is Light falling on the figure from that direction.

So if I have two 'bright' colours; say Magenta Pink and Electric Blue beling played on the mini from opposing directions, with a grey purple shade as the neutral colour that 'separates' them, I think that will achieve the effect I am aiming for.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Like I said, Aun, it still looks great. :yes: It just looks more like a skin tone than a lighting effect, to me. Can't wait to check out the next test piece.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Hard_Aun, I remember that painting you did in the background of your pic. You know colors, so it's little surprise that the scheme looks really good.

So how big is the unit? How many models are you painting?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

I think you mean this one, David, which is a Tolkein inspired illustration I did about ten years ago.

However, as you can see from THIS one, which I did at the same time, I do like multiple light-sources of different colours, and this is close to the sort of effect I want to get on the Daemonettes.

As you ask, I have two regiments each of 15 Daemonettes to paint, and 10 Mounted Daemonettes. I will be doing command groups (Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician) for each of the two foot Regiments, and for the Mounted ones as well. Yes I know that under their current rules Daemonettes don't have Command Groups, but it seems fluffy.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Aun View Post
    [COLOR="Purple]I will be doing command groups (Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician) for each of the two foot Regiments, and for the Mounted ones as well. Yes I know that under their current rules Daemonettes don't have Command Groups, but it seems fluffy.

[/COLOR]

They do if you do a Daemon Legion army. -__^ =P

I think I'm going to have to be the grumpy dwarf and say.. doesn't work for me. I know they effect you're going for, and it's a good an interesting idea but OSL works much better if you have something to source from. I think the problem here, for me, is that the light soucre isn't coming from a definite direction or source - which I find is spoiling the effect. If it was coming from say.. the claw or you did the highlight/OSL one a specific angle, then I'd say it would look much better and work rather well. As it is, does work for me.

KU - Honorary member of the seven dwarves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast