Painting Forgeworld Models. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Painting Forgeworld Models.

Did a forum search but it was sadly non-conclusive.

Is there anything particularly special one needs to concern himself with when painting a forgeworld model (in my case the dreadnought drop pod)?

I've heard rumors that the standard primer spray makes the resin melt, or that paint flecks off unless 'something' is done to prevent it.

Can someone give me a quick 411?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Hi, most of what i buy from GW is the forgeworld range. All i do is clean it with warm water and washing up liquid and a tooth brush, leave for 12-24hrs in the water, then let it dry and spray with a Car body primer/lacker clear (sp) then use Chaos spray paint and use armd couat thats what i do with mine
    hope this help

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

I think someone is trying to wind you up about the Resin melting. That resin is pretty damn stable. However you could certainly use a polyurathane varnish as a primer to start with.

As always, make sure you WASH the resin mini (and allow it to dry thoroughly) before you prime it. Use a mild detergent (shampoo or washing-up liquid) in warm water, and rinse.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I will agree that washing in warm water with dishsoap is a great idea. Definitely a good idea to make sure the release agents are all scrubbed off. I personally use a toothbrush and give the pieces a good scrubbing. (not too hard - don't want to break the pieces!)

At any rate - priming I have always found the GW's primers do the job. Haven't had a problem yet.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Me neither... and not resin models from FW but from other suppliers as well!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Heh, I should have mentioned - I use as toothbrush as well :yes:

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I might as well post my question in this thread as it's kinda relevant.

What should I do if I want to paint-strip a Forge World model?
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also give them a wash and a scrub. Be careful with the washing process, Warm water can be used to cure any warpage in the models so if you wash the model in water thats too hot you will make it go all floppy . I've never tried taking paint off a forge world model but i wouldnt use anything to strong...maybe nail polish remover. soak for a day and give it the toothbrush treatment!

regards, Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

It is always good to give Forge world stuff a good clean. I have always used a basin of soapy water and a tooth brush. Always give them a good rinse afterwards and allow them to dry well. You don't need to thick a layer of spray paint. One layer will do. If there is still casting fluid on the model, twenty layers of spray paint won't help. It will just be thicker when it cracks off.

I have never had any problems doing it this way. Once I didn't with a Void dragon phoenix. The result was a disaster. As I painted all the paint began to crack and peel of a few hours after being applied.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Does anyone know if alcohol will do? If so I'll bring the parts to my job and give them a bath.
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast