Daemon Hunters Golden Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemon Hunters Golden Knights

Hi guys, just thought id show you an example of my 'Golden Knights', an alternative colour scheme for the traditional Grey Knights appearance. As I have recently watched the Frank Miller movie "300" I wanted to capture a very Greek/Spartan theme look (reason for the large round shield), as well as an entirely different dirty and grimy appearance apposed to the normal clean and pristine power armour.

This miniature is painted to personal gaming standards (that has to withstand drops, knocks etc…) and not that of competition or commission standard, giving reason to the simple but affective painting method.

Many thanks.

Linford

Golden Knight Front View

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5944/65979101yb8.jpg

Golden Knight Right View

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9944/91753737ti4.jpg

Golden Knight Left View

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9914/66885676mo6.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

What type of gold did you use?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Damn, that looks awesome Linford; as Adahn said before though, what type of gold did you use.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Looks really good yeah ^^ Shinning Gold with a heavy coat of Chestnut Ink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For this miniture I used an undercoat of 'Chaos Black' followed by two layers of 'Shining Gold'. I then washed the entire miniture with 'Brown Ink' then again dry brushed it with 'Shining Gold' for highlights. I then mixed 50% 'Bolt Gun Silver' and 50% 'Shining Gold' and lightly drybrushed for extreme highlights to add both boldness and depth.

Linford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Not to be a silly nancy here - since you did produce an amazing piece of work. But the Brown Ink might have given it a more Bronze-ish colour rather than gold. Perhaps you could try one with Chestnut Ink and see how it goes? Perhaps for the Leader? Just so it looks a bit more 'Gold' you know? Still wonderful technique, and it looks very very good. And instead of Bolt Gun could I suggest just Chainmail? Shinning Gold and Chainmail compliment each other the best in my humble opinion ^^

- Then again, if you really did want to go for the Hoplite - Phalanx type thing then I say you went for the good combination. Perhaps the name when would better be changed to 'Bronze Knights' ? Seeing as the Spartans and Greeks at the time were in the Bronze Age. Copper was used previously for weapons and armour, but see by 3000 BC they discovered that by smelting both copper and tin they could create Bronze, which was a stronger alloy and would be better suited for shields, weapons and armour. Hence the colour. Thus the name 'Bronze' wouldn't have any bad connotations. As a matter of fact, Gold is one of the weakest alloys around. If you tried to weild a gold sword it'd get dented against a wooden stick ^_^
    Last edited by Adahn; April 15th, 2007 at 16:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank your for all your positive comments. I have used the 'Brown Ink' wash over 'Shining Gold' as I didn’t want the gold work to be too bright, giving reason to why I have chosen these specific colours. Additionally, referring to the Frank Miller "300" film, the warriors armour is more battered bronze than gold which is what I was aiming for. It’s just that I didn’t want to call them ‘Bronze Knights’, it doesn’t seem to sound as cool.

Linford

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I love these models! Especially the blood splats, mine always look like pokadots.

The only thing that bugs me is the shield. It does not look right. It seems kind of weird to be lifting a shield with your gun hand. Also, you should try greenstuffing a strap on the arm, it would look more natural (If there is, disregard this statement).

Great job!

PS-to Adahn: Gold isn't an alloy. :shifty:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Silent-Ninja, I have chosen a large unwieldy shield as I wanted it to represent the strength of the individual, able to entirely cover their head and torso with a shield while trusting their force spear weapon. I have added green stuff and plastic-card strap/ metal strut work in-between the shield back and storm bolter, so that the daemon hunter’s gun and shield are a single movement/action piece of equipment.

I have chosen this visual combination as I believe no Grey Knight would tactically strike/attack with his force weapon as well as shoot the enemy in close combat, however well trained he is. Instead, this conversion configuration represents his ability to shoot and brace, or attack and protect himself with the shield... not to mention a military shield is always opposite to that of a soldiers close combat weapon.

Linford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it!

Your golden knights are very good, but I was wondering where you got the shields from. Good idea tho...
    "...And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee." -Jules Winnefield.

"I need more clips" -Max Zorin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast