Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
When this page opened I saw a corroded copper looking necron. I was totally amazed at whoever pulled the corroded effect off but then I noticed that you made them. Macewing could you pass some of your skills over here?
Sleeping, not dead.
Removed by the moderators.
Thanks The painting is as basic as it gets! Each necron takes about an hour to complete!
Just paint the whole thing brass, then drybrush with ice blue where you want the corrosion. Wash the full model with a black wash to A) darken the metal and blue and Fill the joints and ribs with black. Then just highlight small area's in the original blue and brass. Nothing difficult but a great overall effect!
Oh those look good. I like rusty looking things. There is much more to do with metal when you are doing it rusty. When I was painting my Worldeaters I gave them all rusty looking wargear.
I often used inks. Brown inks can be washed over the metal areas to make them look old and rusty very quickly. Aim for areas like the joints and internal areas with inks to get an effect that these parts are different pieces of metal.
Often it is good when doing rust and corrosion to make it uneven. Rust and general weathering of things is rarely uniform. Rust is a kind of decay and decay is random in it's look. Try to use different inks on different areas to get an effect of the random nature of the rust.
You can also try to apply an extra layer of drybrushing or highlighting to an area and the ink it or shade, or both. This will give a kind of ramshackle look which will work well with the whole living dead thing the Necrons are into. Basically don't try to use the same effects over and over again to get the same result.
When I was painting my zombies some of the models were less decayed looking than the others. This was because some of the parts are less rotten and I mixed in empire soldiers and militia to get more variety. I found that having a varied effect was good at showing the decay.
Also some of my zombies were painted less rotten than the others, less of the mouldly looking colours an so on. The effect was to create a look that some were newer and this made the more rotten ones really stand out as being clearly in an awful state. You could try a similar effect on some of the Necrons. Have some that are really rusty and others that aren't quite as bad. This can help because when people see them they have something more 'normal' and then others that aren't.
Great rustyness. Will be cool to see more. You could do flayed ones with rotten skin on them instead of nice freshly skinned, skin.
Last edited by Leech; April 18th, 2007 at 07:56.
Very nice necrons. The effect is really convincing. Well done.
(The large red crystals on the base are a little heavy with the highlights though.)
Other than that. Good show.
Are you planning on doing a whole army now?
Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.
Oh, I like those! Very cool corrosion effect, nice concept and well carried out.
Thanks for sharing :yes:
Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?
Uncle Macey pulls out the good again!
LO RulesOriginally Posted by AnonymousOriginally Posted by Cyric
I think the tarnish/corrosion looks nice. Mind sharing what you used and how you did it?
I agree with the other statement that the crystals look a little thick and heavy with the paint, also the central symbols on their chest look like they could use more definition. The orange runs into the red. Could just be the pictures as they are a bit grainy. Overall it looks like you really paid attention to details on the armor and then not so much to the rest.
Overall though a very interesting look to them. I love the armor. Please do share how it was done.
Thanks again everyone.
The painting process is posted further up this page, its just blue drybrushing and black wash. The end of the gun in the first pick has a damaged spikey thing, This was done through carelessness. Never smoke while painting, cigarettes melt plastic! Having said that it gave a great melted effect and looked like the metals been eaten away. I might try this again!
The first base was a practice one, but if you look at the other base's ive made it more of a mars dirt type base. Im going to grow some red crystals and stick them to the base if they look good! Im also going to try playing about with what leech suggested as it doesnt seem like anything out of my skill range!
I agree with the reds being too blocky, Gareth suggested deepening it with a brown wash so ill give this a go too. Im pretty curious as to how a corroded monolith will look! I guess im now officially collecting a necron army! lol.
My bad. Didn't see your second post. Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting look.