A Centre Piece of an Archon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Centre Piece of an Archon

Hey folks I haven't visited these forums in quite some time. Mainly this is because I've been out of the hobby for a few years. However recently I've got back into it and have set about bringing my Dark Eldar up to a standard I'm happy with.

Whilst I was redoing the army I decided that my Lord really didn't stand out from her troops too much so I did something about it.

Before:

After:

The base she now stands on is a 60mm resin base ordered from Wargames workshop. When I saw it one word sprang to mind, "Cool". The theme for the piece is a sea of souls swarming around the Archon as she drinks deep of the battle around her.

Since these pictures were taken I've tidied up the bottom of her skirt and her boots. Removing her from her old base was the scariest thing I think I've ever had to do modeling wise.

So please tell me what you think and if you want feel free to check out my blog I'm keeping whilst I'm rebuilding my Kabal.

To rule in Hell is only the beginning...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

She looks interesting. I suspect as you have made/added a new base this would do better in the modelling or conversion forum. Anyhow I like the look of her. I think you should work on cleaning her up to, not just adding a big fancy base. Her face needs more work on the eyes. I find on models like this with human faces especially characters that it is best to do the eyes first. After the eyes are done you can then work on the skin around the eyes. In this way any smears from the painting of the eyes can be painted over.

I do like her hair though. The way it has streaks of colour through it is cool. You could touch that up with a little shading. Take a fine detail brush and slowly and carefully go through the groves between each strand of hair using watered down black. This will strongly show up her hair colour. There is also the problem of chips. I can see here foot has paint chipped of of it. You will need to fix that, especially as she is your Archon.

Also would you be able to post a link for the place you got that base it is cool. I would add alittle more to it. At the moment the 'souls' seem to be similar to the rock. I would apply a little more colour to them. You could try to use a very light blue, drybrushed over them and then some white. You could also try to mix a little green with light blue. This will give you a strange weird look of unliving spirits. Drybrush that lightly over the souls and then maybe a little white. Or white mixed with the green and light blue.
    Last edited by Leech; April 18th, 2007 at 05:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its such a shame that the Dark Eldar have such an uninspiring model range.

Great base though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    She looks interesting. I suspect as you have made/added a new base this would do better in the modelling or conversion forum.
    Aye, I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in there. If any mods feel it is better suited for the conversion forum feel free to move it.:blush:

Anyhow I like the look of her. I think you should work on cleaning her up to, not just adding a big fancy base. Her face needs more work on the eyes. I find on models like this with human faces especially characters that it is best to do the eyes first. After the eyes are done you can then work on the skin around the eyes. In this way any smears from the painting of the eyes can be painted over.
    Cheers for the advice. I know she's in a bit of a state with various chips all over her which I'm gradually cleaning up. Out of all the areas of painting I find faces the hardest things to do properly so I might give myself some practice on my Syberaties and then come back to my lord. But any more advice would be most welcome.

There is also the problem of chips. I can see here foot has paint chipped of of it. You will need to fix that, especially as she is your Archon.
    As I said since the picture was taken I have gone back and fixed the chips on her feet and skirt.

Also would you be able to post a link for the place you got that base it is cool. I would add a little more to it. At the moment the 'souls' seem to be similar to the rock...
    The base is from www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk , they have a very good range there and excellent service. As for the souls, I think it might just be the picture as they stand out more in RL. Here's a bit of a better picture I took whilst painting it see what you think to that one:

The souls were painted by drybrushing fortress grey over the black undercoat. Then a mix of fortress grey and camo green (about 3:1) was added over the top of this. And then over the top again was applied the same mix, but this time at about 2:1.
    To rule in Hell is only the beginning...

+ Reply to Thread