Advice needed: Symbol on Shields - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Advice needed: Symbol on Shields

I want to apply this symbol:

to some men-at-Arms' shields. It's a Vampires Clan symbol, I use those shields for my undead skeletons ^___^
    The problem is: how can I place that symbol on the shields, considering that freehand is something I'm definitely not good at ?

The shields are rettangular, my idea was to print the symbol,adjusting his size to fit the shield. After that I'll cut the symbol, leaving a shield sized rettangular piece of paper , that I'll have to apply to the shields and paint the symbol.

Ok,sorry for the explanation,beeing italian sucks -.- I've tried to re-read it a couple of times and it's almost impossible to understand. I'll try to use an image to explain it.

Edit: Where I wrote "whole" I meant "hole" _

this makes a little more sense.

Any advice ? I'll start painting the shields as soon as I buy the new Foundation Colours, so I still have a few days to think about how to paint the symbol.
    Any kind of help will be really appreciated ^____^

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

That could work, but let me tell you that freehand is much easier than you think. Just get a small brush, and brace both arms on a table.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Why not draw the symbol on plasticard and then cut it out. Then glue it onto the shield, it will be embossed and very easy to paint.

Hope that helped

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Another thing you could try out is finding a program that lets you design stickers.. yes, stickers.

Find sticker paper (any office supplies store should have some), toss it in your printer, and print. Voila. Instant symbols.

Only problem is they're obviously easy to dirty up etc., moreso than paint itself, but it's nice and easy.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

To be honest, the symbol is rather simple. It shouldn't be that hard to paint and the more you practice the better you become. =D For this, I'd paint a pair of crossed lines the thicken them out to the desired size. One you have your shape just use the background colour of the shield to tidy it up.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I just suck at free hand _

But since most of you suggest me to try this way..I'll do it. Maybe I'll make some practice on the back of a movement base...I've been struggling with free hand since I was 6 -_- I'm pretty decent at painting minis, but free hand scares me....everything I've ever painted using some free hand looks horrible. I've painted a very nice Khornate's rhino. Then I took 2 wooden sticks, glued them to the back of the vehicle and I realized a huge banner made of green stuff. The rhino looks great, the banner is well done and looks like a real standard, it nicely suits on the sticks...then I tried to paint something on it. I took the WHFB Chaos army book, took some runes and translated "Liberate Vos Ex Inferis" (save yourselves from hell) into those runes. I then painted those runes on the standard...they're horrible -.- A good idea ruined by my non-existent free hand skills....

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

+ Reply to Thread