Armour highlight dilemma - Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armour highlight dilemma - Guard

I have some Cadians I am working on.

They have an off-grey cloth color (slightly purplish grey), and will have black armour.

On a test miniature, I highlighted the armour with Codex Grey, but it now looks as if I just painted the bloke sloppily, as it seems to be too similar to the main colour on the guy.

Any ideas to help me out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked Balck with blue highlights. I knowe it's mostly good for leather yet here's what I do. Midnight blue on the edges and then shadow grey on the extreme highlights.

"Look Livley!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try making the codex grey darker. You'll only need to add a very small amount of black paint if you do it this way. On the other hand, you could also make the cloth lighter- this way it won't seem as if the highlighting is merely a result of going a little crazy on the cloth with the paintbrush.
    Drag queen of LO... HAETRS GONNA HAET!
    Savlar (6k), Executioners (full company!), Farsight (500 points), Warriors of Chaos (6k), Dark Elves Cult Of Pleasure (4k), Nomads/Caledonians/ISS (infinity), Clan Wolf (BT)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

i tried a dark brown, as shown in some tutorial for highlighting Black Templars. i did it on some unfinished cadians, and it looked pretty good. try it out.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I've found that for highlighting black, the best effect is mixing a little bleached bone with black (like 20/80 or something, practise your own favourite), mix a little water in too, and apply that around the area you want to highlight.

Next, make a stronger mix with slightly more bleached bone, and either repeat the wash process in a more concentrated area, or make it slightly brighter again and line the edges of the armour.

In my mind, bleached bone works well mixed with black, as it is less harsh than skull white or any of the greys. This way it doesn't destroy the overall 'blackness' of the colour, but still provides a strong highlight.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could start by giving it a slight bluish highlight, regak blue or something else as it will mix with the purplish on the uniform. Then add some dark grey and highlight as bright as you want it. Using bleched bone is a good idea...

+ Reply to Thread