Basing question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basing question.

I'm getting ready to start basing my army. I should have tackled this as I was painting them over the years, but now I'm catching up. My question is, will I be better off removing the existing bases and building them up? Or can I do the basing around the models feet. This would seem the easier choice at first glance, but may end up looking like the feet are sunk in and there is the issue of drybrushing around the models feet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Acth View Post
    I'm getting ready to start basing my army. I should have tackled this as I was painting them over the years, but now I'm catching up. My question is, will I be better off removing the existing bases and building them up? Or can I do the basing around the models feet. This would seem the easier choice at first glance, but may end up looking like the feet are sunk in and there is the issue of drybrushing around the models feet.
    Really depends on what kind of basing you'll be doing. I huge variety of basing can be done with model in place without any problems.

But yes, sometimes it will be easier to remove them from the base and do them that way, similar to paint arms and body, then gluing them together.

Good luck either way
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Acth View Post
    Don't worry about the "sunk in" look. That made me nervous at first, too, but I tried basing after assembly with my necron army (first attempt ever at basing) and it came out very well. You can see a picture of my first test model in this thread (clicky!) (Necron army PIP).

I used standard GW-issue gravel/sand mixture, and as you can see, the feet are clearly visible.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Most of the times I base the minis after I paint them... though in the last few dozens I paint the models separately from the base... so I make the base and then when the mini is painted is added to it!

Don't worry... as long as the base is made by you and you only, with your taste and everything, you don't have to worry about sunking... just be careful if you paint over the flock/gravel/anything! You don't want to ruin the painting of, as you said, years of work!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

+ Reply to Thread