Librarium Online Forums banner

My First Chimera!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BLADERUNNER 
#1 ·
Well since I'm running Mechanized Imperial Guard, I thought it'd be appropriate to get around to painting a tank. This took WAY too long, but now I know some tricks to cut down on time for the next one.

I'm really proud of it for being my first try since drybrushing Ultramarine tanks and I hope you like it!

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#4 ·
I like it. Nice work.

Actually if you want to share your tricks I would be very grateful. I have a few tanks but I haven't tackled them yet so any tips before I get cracking on them would be great.

#6 ·
This was absolutely my favorite part of the project.

Since the last time I painted a tank was when I was a newbie for my Ultramarines, I really wanted to do my best so I did a little research and found this:

http://www.paintingclinic.com/operations/15mmstuart.htm

By far the biggest help to me was that tutorial. I did it differently than he did, but it was the same idea: Apply transfer, shoot dull cote, and then weather to your heart's content before hitting it with dull cote again. In order to make it look a little more like freehand, I painted on top of the transfers with Codex/Fortress grey and then did the weathering. GW's transfers are just too WHITE to use right off the sheet.

Thanks for taking a look at my pics!

#8 ·
Thanks Kuffy!

The highlights are there, but I didn't go quite as high with them as I do normally on my guys. It's meant to be dirty and grimy so I thought more extreme highlights would have been counterproductive. I may tweak it a little more later especially on the top of the model using a light drybrush followed by a wash to bring it back down a tad. The large, flat panels always confuse me as to which part should get the highlight. :) By the end of this army I should have a pretty good idea as to how the hell to paint a tank!

#10 ·
This looks great man. Can't wait to see the whole army!

-YTHC

#11 ·
Is that a PLASMA SNIPER RIFLE!?

As usual, fantastic work! I love the weathering ad the faded transfers (I too thought they were freehand), and all the nicely painted details really add to it. This is gonna be one well painted Gaurd force!

#12 ·
Awesome as always mate. I am very impressed with the weathered transfers and the mud/dirt effect (which a lot of people tend to over-do). I must also comment on the photography, very professional and excellent lighting.

Keep it up!

#13 ·
Thanks for all the comments, guys!

I've since gone back and did a little extra highlighting on the green as well as add even more "mud" effect along the sides and some much needed mud splats on the top of the vehicle, which looked a little too clean in my opinion. At this point I'm sure some people might think I'd gone too much, but now it looks way more interesting from the tabletop.

I'll be sure to present it in the next batch of photos. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.