Atlanta Slayer Sword Winner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Atlanta Slayer Sword Winner

http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.co...ge/default.htm

What do you think? After looking over the discussion over on TWF I have to agree with a lot of their comments. It's not really Slayer Sword worthy. It's good, real good, but something about it just doesn't scream Slayer Sword to me. What about you lot?

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. I can't knock the figure as far as skillful paint job (it's a good leap better than I can do), but I like to expect more from a slayer sword winner.

When I see a slayer sword winner, I generally want to be in complete awe of the talent, skill, and dedication it took to pull it off. I want to stare at it for an hour and wonder how different areas of the figure were done. I want a slayer sword winner to make me realize that I'm not as good as I thought I was, but I also want it to inspire me to try to do better.

This one just kinda makes me shrug my shoulders and think, "Not bad, but must have been a slow day at the golden demon." It just looks cartoony to me. Like if I saw ol' Trogdor Necksnappa (as much as the name gives me a warm n' fuzzy, it's kinda disappointing as far as creativity) running toward me on a battlefield, I would have a moment's indecision as to whether I should be laughing or running away.

So yes, I agree - a really well painted figure, but not slayer sword good in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I agree, I do not think that is Slayer Sword quality, as I have seen some of the paiters around here do better. Eh, maybe it was just they were tired and played the 'The first one to fall off the table wins' game.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It definitely has a distinct style. Personally I think it is worthy of a sword. He won last year too didn't he? I think that is what sets him apart - his unique style.

Now as to wether that model should have won vs. other models... haven't seen the other winners yet so i really can't relate to that aspect yet. On the surface though I think it fits a sword winning entry.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Heh, I like it. You don't usually see a blue goblin like that.

Kudos to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian MalSeraph View Post
    Heh, I like it. You don't usually see a blue goblin like that.

Kudos to him.
    (Now I can't tell if you're joking or not, so I'll say it anyway...)

Goblin??
    That ain't no goblin!
    It's a troll!

A stone troll to be precise. A very good stone troll, actually. Well I would expect that considering it won the Slayer Sword, but like several of the posters it just doesn't 'pop' for me. I expect to look at a slayer sword winner with my jaw dropped to the floor in awe, but with this I just look at it and say 'oh, that's good'. I want to drop my jaw, dammit!
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

While I can't come anywhere near the talent level needed to paint that figure I must say, something about it just seems off...

I don't know what it is, maybe it's the picture, maybe it's the style, maybe it's my eyes (or fragile brain) going, but it just seems... off. It's very well painted, no doubt about it, but I just don't have that feeling of "HOLY COW!" that I have had when looking at other models. I think it just seems too bright\cartoony\something I can't quite put my finger on, for me.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    (Now I can't tell if you're joking or not, so I'll say it anyway...)

Goblin??
    That ain't no goblin!
    It's a troll!

A stone troll to be precise. A very good stone troll, actually. Well I would expect that considering it won the Slayer Sword, but like several of the posters it just doesn't 'pop' for me. I expect to look at a slayer sword winner with my jaw dropped to the floor in awe, but with this I just look at it and say 'oh, that's good'. I want to drop my jaw, dammit!
    Well, I don't play fantasy, and it looked like a goblin to me.

Forgive me for these transgressions.

Second Company Apothecary SentryKiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I would really like to see the "competition" before saying it doesn't deserve the Sword.

It is really well done, and looks on par with the painting I have seen on other Sword winners, but whether a different model deserved it more really needs to be seen before saying this one didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montford981
    How can an entire army of intolerant, homicidal female pyromaniacs not be fun?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Well, I'm no expert either, and I gotta admit this model clearly shows the painter's skill and patience. He clearly knows what he's doing.

I'm with you guys, though... something is wrong. If I had to take a wild, totally humble stab at it, I'd say the problem is it's too neat. This is a bloodthirsty monster using implements that are, well, let's just say not up to operating-room standards, and yet they look VERY clean. Plenty of digs and scratches, but no real sign of wear, no rust, grime, blood, nothing.

Also, for a guy who runs around barefoot, his feet look awfully clean. No sign of dust, mud, nothing. His body also looks WAY too clean for something that I'm guessing doesn't sleep at the Ritz. In short, he looks like he just got outta the shower. Even his little buddy doesn't look the worse for wear. Even the severed head looks impossibly clean. No gore? Rot? Chalky, pallid skin? Aruh?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast