Ahhhhhhh wtf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahhhhhhh wtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

Ahhhhhhh wtf

So guys.. err ive suddenly becoem interested in making terrian, like all of a sudden it really appealed to me. My friends really dont expand on thier 40k gamine, but i thought making my own terrian would be great. I dont have my resources, and i dont have any money, so i just use whats on hand. I just dont get how you guys make such amazing terrian! What is it that im missing? My stuff looks like a three yr old made it compared to you guys! any ideas on how i can easily scourge some basic terrian components?

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x3)

One thing that I find makes terrain look A LOT better is if all pieces are painted the same way, or are at least based to represent the same kind of battlefiled (i.e. 3 ruined buildings will look better together then a ruined building, a snow-covered hill and a forest). Another thing that helps is the board. If the terrain matches the board, even if it's just in color, then I can almost guarantee that it will create an authentic feel no matter how 'good' the terrain piece is. Knowing what gaming boards your local hobbystore owns, or just using a certainly colored tablecloth can greatly enhance the feel of a game. After all, nobody wants to do battle on the bleak plains of planet '2X4'.

Hope I helped
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the easiest things to do is build some city terrain. Get some boxes. Cut up the cardboard. Hot glue together to make buildings. Spray black. Drybrush heavily with grey and add signs (burned, cut, woodburner works well) from GW site.

I'm in the middle of this right now. The buildings look great and they're easy to do. I'll see if I can get pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click here to play 40k online

Member of the VASSAL 40k Clan

VASSAL record
    Necrons 1/0/0

Last Game
    Solid Victory vs Eldar

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

Styrofoam can be used to make a lot of hills, and it is dirt cheap. Also, as meantioned above, cardboard makes great buildings. If you can get some file holders, you know, the thin tough kind a little yellowish things they have in offices, you can just glue a bunch of junk on there and sand the ground. Spray black, then drybrush the ground a color and paint the junk. Those make great little areas of difficult terrain or just fun senario options.

A Few More Tips on Building Terrain:

1. You can make some preety good bolts with hole-punched pieces of index card.

2. If you have allergies like me, use all those extra pill tubes and make gas-containors or whatever you think they look like.

3. Extra paper towel and toliet paper roles work well as pipes.

4. Straws can be used to make very thin pipes.

5. Next time you are on an airplane, sneak away with those headphones and cut them up. They make great wires for electric plants and other things.

6. If you are in grade school (like me) then you can go to your art teacher. Mine takes basically "trash" (like paper towel roles, styrofoam, etc.) into cool art projects. She will probubly have a lot of extra stuff.

A Few Tips on Painting Terrain:

1.STAY AWAY FROM GAMESWORKSHOP PAINTS. Now, you do not have to follow this rule, but getting normal paints from A.C. Moore or your local hobby store (as in that one that you go too to get foam, wood, glitter, you know) and get your paints from there. This will give you the smae quality, more quanity, and a cheaper price tag.

2. Drybrushing is you friend.

3. If you have barrels or something in the terrain, and you pay attention to details, you can change your terrain from good to amazing by painting the small things well.

4. For styrofoam,, cover it with PVA glue before bascoating, or else it will soak up paint like a sponge does water.

Well, this is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if anything comes to me I'll let you know.

If you have any questions about the above statement, feel free to PM me (no one else has been).

All comments brought to you by Yourtimehascome. By reading this sentense you now understand that he recomends searching out someone with more rep (because they will probubly know more).

Hope this helped!

-YTHC
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I absolutely recommend the Gw book on scenery making. It has good technique advice and is full of inspiration. Worth the purchase if you're about to go on a scenery crusade.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x3)

i have access to a wire cutter (thanks to my art teacher) used for clean cutting polystyrene and styrofoam (which i have in some quanity). Any tips on how to turn these pieces of foam into...pieces of awsome terrianness?
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

Well, AlbinoAlien, if you read above, you will find some tips on how to work styrofoam, but here are some others.

I started off making basic hills, which allows you to get a lot of practice shaping and cutting. Then, (at the time I played LotR) I made Bilbo's hut and a few more complex hills. For example, a hill with a river through it is a hill and a large indent almost straight threw. Then, indentations are done to show current. After that, you can branch off into any areas, whether it be cities, grasslands or whatever.

All comments brought to you by Yourtimehascome. By reading this sentense you now understand that he recomends searching out someone with more rep (because they will probubly know more).

-YTHC
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Two dirt-cheap ideas I saw once:

Guy took some styrofoam balls and cones (VERY easy and cheap to come by). Cut the wide end off the cones so he had a bunch of small "discs" that tapered on once side. Dug a small well out of the middle of the top side of each. Glued a ball into this, then impaled it with a bunch of toothpicks. A coat of thinned PVA glue and a good paint job, and he had a mighty fine looking bunch of one-story "Space cacti" that worked well as LOS-blocking obstacles. You also couldn't argue that jump infantry could land on top of them (ouch!)

I've posted this one here before. Guy took an old CD, covered the hole in the middle, and painted it black. Took sprue (you should have LOTS of that, if you don't throw them away. If you do throw them away, STOP IT! What's wrong with you? ) and chopped it up into dozens of itty bitty "bricks," then took some PVA glue, mixed it in and "molded" the whole mess into a small pile on top of the CD. Let it dry, then basecoated black, and did some gray drybrushing, maybe an ink wash or two. Now you got a mobile pile of rubble, would go great with the cardboard buildings mentioned earlier. You could try mixing some gravel/sand in to give it even more texture.

Do you have any modeling clay or greenstuff? The right shape and bits of sprue sticking out could make a nice blown-out wall or something. Make them as easy to move around as possible. Will keep you from getting bored with your table setup.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Styrofoam is often free from your local trash can. Just about anything non-edible - and even then macaroni - can be used.

Free things that are good to use -

Toothpicks/tongue depressers/coffee stirrers can all be used for walls, fences, walkways, rubble, obstacles and all kinds of other things.

CD's (especially the free ones from that online company) make great bases for all kinds of things. But be careful bending 'em - you'll get that shiny stuff all over the place.

Empty plasic bottles (of a lot of shapes) and a whole lot of common items can be used as all kinds of containers, turret bases (lids) and such. My wife has a ton of empty lip balm pots that I used for hip joints on a non GW project. Take a look at what Gerry Anderson (the guy who made Thunderbirds) did, and you'll start to see alot of common objects. Hell, the Nose cone on the Star Wars Y-Wing Fighter engine is pretty well known to be a L'Eggs Egg. The original Galactica was a huge kitbash, as were all their ships.

Try Craigslist.org - their free-stuff section. You can get all kinds of things free (well, for the price of picking it up) and often there are old broken tv's or radios, fill dirt (for basing) and such that can be yours for the taking.

The board i posted not too long ago was probably a little less than 1/2 found/recycled stuff.

How to make it all look good? Think combinations - a set of three of anything, or mutliples of 3 work well. 3 similar hills (not identical, obviously) with 2-3 sets of bush/tree groups and 2-3 small buildings works well. Make more than you need; you can pick and choose what looks best together.

Paint it all in the same theme - or rather 2 themes that can be used similarly. If you have any theme, you can add a second type to it pretty easily that changes the feeling and a cummulative rather than seperative (is that a word?).

For example, you have a jungle theme and a snow theme. They don't mix well, but you could add a mud theme, or a city theme that can go with either. But say you have the jungle theme first, and you expand it with mud-stuff, which can then be used with a future snow or desert theme.

Does that make sense?

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    I absolutely recommend the Gw book on scenery making. It has good technique advice and is full of inspiration. Worth the purchase if you're about to go on a scenery crusade.
    i second that motion, its a very good book....
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast