Commissar variants? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Commissar variants?

Hi:

Just curious, as I am thinking way down the road of building a custom IG regiment that lives in the desert. Is it not kosher to make/customize a Commissar to fit with the army's theme? Seems all anyone ever uses are the "Generalissimo" models. Is there a fluff/rules reason for this, or is it possible to build/modify something to make one that fits in with the crowd? I've seen variant standard bearers, officers, vets, pretty much everything EXCEPT Commissars. What gives?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, generally, the stereotypical commissars are their uniform, and they are such 'good examples' that they wouldn't dare compromise their uniforms! "What d-d-do you mean i-i-its minus 80??".

Yeah, If you want, you can customize him up a bit, but try to at least keep the hat, and the greatcoat if possible, anything else is fair game.

Have Fun!

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Eh I say the hat is the only thing that you "must have" on a Commissar. Other then that makes him more apart of the group, but just as a tip you may want to keep his uniform to a minimum. Maybe put on a few medals but not to flashy, also you need to keep the air of ego/confidence.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

oooow, goody! commissars! my favourite!

ok, if you want a junior-commissar, or cadet-commissar:

use this model: kazango!

ill put up some other ideas laters, gotta meet my accountant now!

edit: ok, all my finances are up to spec!

you could take the ibram gaunt model:

gaunt

and add some more fabric to his cloak with greenstuff so it looks more like the ones the tallarn wear.

or you could do a more extensive conversion:

take this guy: desert raider sergeant

and buy this forgeworld set:

cadian upgrade set

this FW set comes with a nifty peaked head, cut off the tallarn's head, insert cadians head, tara! (you'll have loads of extra gear now, so you can give some tallarn cadian helmets and such, making for a more diverse force)

if you are going forgeworld you could also get this kit: tallarn equipment, that way you can add some more details, or perhaps customize a new desert force by combining cadian GW plastics with the FW cadian upgrade and the tallarn equipment sprue.
    Last edited by Zema; May 4th, 2007 at 10:47.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by HeZu View Post
    oooow, goody! commissars! my favourite!

you could do a more extensive conversion:

take this guy: desert raider sergeant

and buy this forgeworld set:

cadian upgrade set

this FW set comes with a nifty peaked head, cut off the tallarn's head, insert cadians head, tara! (you'll have loads of extra gear now, so you can give some tallarn cadian helmets and such, making for a more diverse force)
    Oooh, that's a good idea. First peaked cap head I've seen all by itself like that. Would a head like that on another body be doable in, say, a grand tournament or something as a commissar? Not that I go to any, but I like to make it fit the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by HeZu View Post
    if you are going forgeworld you could also get this kit: tallarn equipment, that way you can add some more details, or perhaps customize a new desert force by combining cadian GW plastics with the FW cadian upgrade and the tallarn equipment sprue.
    Yeah, I've seen that kit, but I don't know if I'll be buying it. The plan, as you've guessed, is to fill out my infantry platoons with one box of Cadians and one box of Catachans. The tentative plan for now is to have 10 Cadians built "normally," with a "desert camo" paint scheme. The next 10 will be the same, except I plan to scrape off the Cadian helmets and use greenstuff to make turbans. Finally, I'll scrape/file down the Catachans' arms and heads, and use greenstuff to make Tallarn-esque models, then I'll mix 'em all together, to show more diversity.

How does that sound? Will the group suffer from the lack of uniformity or benefit?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Canew; May 4th, 2007 at 15:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post

Yeah, I've seen that kit, but I don't know if I'll be buying it. The plan, as you've guessed, is to fill out my infantry platoons with one box of Cadians and one box of Catachans. The tentative plan for now is to have 10 Cadians built "normally," with a "desert camo" paint scheme. The next 10 will be the same, except I plan to scrape off the Cadian helmets and use greenstuff to make turbans. Finally, I'll scrape/file down the Catachans' arms and heads, and use greenstuff to make Tallarn-esque models, then I'll mix 'em all together, to show more diversity.

How does that sound? Will the group suffer from the lack of uniformity or benefit?
    mh, i suggest you randomize it all, so making a few helmeted heads with catachan arms, a few normal marines with catachan heads. Make it so every trooper is modified in someway... that way it'll look more even and less like you just put your army and the army of your little brother on the table at the same time .

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you make of it!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

As a quick add on to HeZu's advice: there's also a head with a peaked hat on the new vehicle sprue, which you'll probably wind up having anyway.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

thats a good one! the vehicle sprue indeed has a peaked hat, it'll be a lot cheaper too!
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread