Green Stuff Tips Please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green Stuff Tips Please

So I've seen some great conversions made by combining necron tomb spider bodies and a cut destroyer body. I figured I'd try one myself.... my first attempt ended sadly and cost me a destroyer body.

I'm having some real trouble flattening the green stuff properly and could use a few tips and pointers to help my next attempt at this turn out properly.

Lessons I've learned with my first attempt at green stuff:

1) Watch out for finger print marks. Green stuff picks up prints way too well. I've picked up some sculpting tools but being such a novice I am unsure what ones work well for simply flattening the green stuff

2) This crap is sticky! I've learned the hard way to keep my fingers and tools wet at all times. Nothing sucks more than to think you are near completion only to have the green stuff stick to a finger and come right off the model.

Any other pointers and tips some more experienced people can give me would be very appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

bunch of tricks/tips/ideas:

1. Use less than you think you need. And then half that again.
    2. Stretch it with FIMO. use about as much FIMO as you use of the blue part (a bit less that 1/3 of the total mass). it makes it less sticky and you can work with it longer. The GS hardens just as much as it does without it.
    3. Use color shapers to avoid gettting your finegr prints on it. you can get them in any art supply shop. they look like brushes but have a rubber tip. you can get them in various tip forms and hardness.
    4. To roll out the GS (like in shields and banners - stick it between cling film. And then roll it out. Wait for it to harden a bit and then put it on the miniature. You can make belts (with nice and smooth edges) liek that too. wait for the GS to harden a bit (about 45 minutes) then roll it out and cut it into strips.
    5. To make rivets and such - use the tip of a mechanical pencil. make sure that the part you are putting the rivet on is hardened already. roll out a bit of greenstuff and place it where the rivet should end up. then use a wet tip of a mechanical pencil and press it into the greenstuff. remove the surrounding greenstuff and leave the rivet in place.

that is all I can think off at the moment.

EDIT: The homepage of one color shaper manufacturer (with pictures of thise things): Colour Shaper® and Clay Shaper® -- colour shaper,colour shapers,colour,shaper,shapers,color shaper,color shapers,color,clay shaper,clay shapers
    (personally I prefer the firm ones (middle, grey) and I pretty much only use the cup round these days (top picture all the way on the right)
    Last edited by Lamenter; May 5th, 2007 at 22:44. Reason: add link
    Shut up and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

GW has made a fairly good GS guide, with some useful tips for using GS and some lovely pictures. Clicky the link---> GW Online : News : Convershun Klinic : Working With Green Stuff

A few more tips include:

Water - You've said it already but its so important I'm going to say it again. Keep everything thats going to be in contact with the GS damp or it'll stick like mad. Things like vaseline and oil also work quite well but can be messy so use them with care. Vaseline on cling film (cellophane wrap) can be used to great effect to make sheets of GS for capes/flags and the like.

Flat surface - Make sure you have a flat surface to work the GS on. A cutting mat covered in damp cling film is perfect (IMO) for this - it provides you with a flat surface to roll the GS on, and its safe to cut on as well:yes:.

Practice - Sounds obvious, but practice with the GS for a while. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once your a bit more experienced its easier to work with as you know what to expect. Just roll out some GS and try to make some basic shapes with it. Once you get the hang of it move up to models.

Tools - Though a knife alone will get you by, a few different tools of various shapes and sizes can help even more. Have a look in a hobby shop and get a few different shaped ones - the GW article has a nice picture of what I mean.

Good luck with the GS mate, hope I helped.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you use sculpey in the same manner as the fimo?

where do you all get your fimo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by turinevo View Post
    can you use sculpey in the same manner as the fimo?

where do you all get your fimo?
    Sculpey and fimo are the same. Note, they take heat to cure, meaning 1-they will shrink a bit when you bake them 2-they need to be baked to cure hard.

GS is a epoxie-filler and hardener mixed make a product that cures without heat, and has minimal shrinkage.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread