Unusual Primer colors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unusual Primer colors

Hello all,

So... I found a really good deal on Krylon primers (about $4 a can) and compared to my local GW's $10 a can for primer, I think I've figured out who's getting my money.

Anywho... I figure I'll nab black primer but... I also notice they have other colors of primer aside from the 'holy trinity' of white-gray-black - namely, a ruddy brown and a platinum.

Has anyone ever used a non white-gray-black primer? Is it a horrible trail of sorrows down which no mortal with a love of all things sacred and profane should ever tread? I'm half-tempted to use brown primer on my Rangers (going for an earth tone on them... camo and all that) and I can't help but thinking the platinum primer would make my Eldar just that much more... FABULOUS! I mean, even if it has the same effect as a white/gray primer, *I* would know that under their exterior, they are just that much more awesome and fashionable.

Anyway... I suppose I could buy a can and try it out but I'm stuck at the office for the next two months so I figured I'd see if anyone else had thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I dont really use much other than black though I have experimented with gray. I used a bone colored one one cause it gives you some shading even when painting light colors. As for Krylon I really dont like it its very fickle when it comes to temperature and moisture leval if its not perfect theres a god chance it will be a very grainy or "dimpled" coating thats just my past experience.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... thanks for your feedback on Krylon. I have two (possibly competing) interestes - on the one hand, I want a good mini primer and on the other hand, I don't want to give GW any more of my money (unless it's in form of me buying their stock). So... I could get the GW Primer but... part of me would really, really take my dollar votes somewhere else... question is, will I get decent quality primer from another company?

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly I go to wlamart and buy there 79 cent can of black spray it works fantastically for me it dousn't have any ofthe special chem Krylon has really take a trip to Walmart and look in your cheap spray section its in a blue can from what I remember Ill try to post the name but Im in school right now.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i connect an IV hose from my arm to the top of the coffee pot or wine bottle and them tap the end of my finger with my xacto. Put your other finger over the puncture wound and spray like you would a garden hose at your pesky brother on a hot summer day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I've gotten hooked on a homemade clearcoat primer blend (I blame Slorak :shifty: ). It works well, and over plastic models, it looks like gray primer. Only trouble is, when doing metal models colors tend to have a different "tint" to them when I'm done. One more reason to H-A-T-E ^#&#@% metal models! (

Anyway, I'll post the "recipe" if you wanna try it.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

A good friend of mine is using a Rust Colored primer for his lizardmen, so far they look awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've come to use gw 'ogre flesh' (a greyish green) which gives the models a darker look than white/grey but is not as dark as black (and easier to paint over). works well for me as i dont like my models to be to 'flashy'
    "You'd never imagine how many people would like an electric chair hanging on their wall. Especially if it fits the colour of the wallpaper."

+ Reply to Thread