Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I've been trying to come up with conversions to apply for my imperial guard veteran squad that I plan on getting to enter into the gamesday tournament. I'm ordering this set from forgeworld:
Cadian Hardened Veterans Upgrade Pack
and plan on modifying the shotguns into personalized assault rifles. However, I am left with one problem.
The two vets holding their weapons vertically are covering the portion of the rifle that I would have normally placed the magazine. I need to find another place to have the mag that would be practical and functional, but would also look good. And you'd also have to be able to see where the mag goes. I've considered rear-loading the mag in the stock, but you can't see the magazine, and side loaded looks ugly.
Also, and conversion suggestions would be greatly appreciated since they will all be personalized with scopes and sights and grenade launchers, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
Voor alle nederlanders:
The Dutch Legion
a friend of mine tried a simmilar thing but with sideloaded bolt guns simmilar to a sten, must say they look pretty awesome
spambot kill tally: 79
[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
[00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^
As HeZu said, having them loaded like a bren, with the magazine on top of the barrel, is pretty much the only other way to go if you don't want the rifles to be side-loaded. It could work quite nicely, but I'm not sure it would look too good on the guys holding their guns in the ready position - only test fitting will help there.
As far as conversion ideas goes, I have a few:
- Forward pistol grip. Special forces often place a forward pistol grip on their rifles in certain situations. You could do something similar - just cut the handgrips off some old lasgun/boltguns and stick them over the forward handgrip of the guys who are holding the guns up in the air. A example:
- Underslung items, such as a flashlight or bayonete will add to the models. This is a really easy way to customise a weapon a model is carrying.
- Silencers. A small tube/rod of plastic can be cut to size and attached to the end of a rifle to simulate a silencer.
- Bionics. If you model one of your veterans with a bionic eye, you could run a wire or two from his gun-scope to the bionic eye. Auto-targetter goodness:w00t:!
- Double mags. Sometimes special forces attach two or three magazines together in order to reduce weapon reload time. You could simulate this by gluing two magazines together. You can either glue them the same way up or top-to-toe, its up to you, though the top-to-toe version looks better IMO. A example:
- Laser sights. Attach a small box to a part of the rifle with some sort nozzle or lens on it, paint the lens red and you have a basic red dot sight.
- Snail mags - bigger magazine, more ammo.
Thats all I can think of at the moment. Good luck with the conversions mate, please post up some pictures when you are finished.
Great suggestions guys, thanks.
As far as where the mag goes, I've been thinking. It would be easiest to have it belt fed through the side so i wouldnt even have to worry about the magazine. However, I don't know where to find any ammo-belt sprues without spending money on an entire model kit (and i am very tight for money). I was thinking of having a case of ammo strapped to the chest or belt, and have the belt coming out of it and fed into the rifle through the side.
Any suggestions on kits to order or places to go to find small plastic ammo belts to use?
As far as customization of the rifles, I think it will be pretty simple to add the conversions.
I dont actually have the models yet, ive just been brainstorming for ideas before I order them. But if i end up going to gamesday baltimore than i will hopefully have pictures up before the end of this month.
I know there are a few little ammo belts on the 40k ork sprues, though theres only a few per box and that could become costly. Maybe a mate of yours has some in their bitz box.
"Da mekz 'ave made you da best armour coz you're da best ork"