Eldar - dark, "tragic" look - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar - dark, "tragic" look

Hey people. I need some advice... in the summer holidays I want to get back into this hobby (never really did much of it anyway) and chose Eldar. I am stuck between two colour schemes, the traditional Saim-Hann colours and another, much darker one. I prefer the latter but its gonna be tricky to pull off correctely. Therefore I need your help.

I browsed about the coolminiornot.com site and found some really cool pictures posted by a person calling himself Ravenwing. So all credit goes to him as I suppose these are painted by him. I uploaded them to photobucket because it might load faster and doesnt put to much pressure on that other site.

So these are not mine they are from someone else and he gets all the credit!

Firstly a picture of a dark jetbike + rider, this might be how they would look but IMO they look to plain and no real contrast. I would like somewhat lighter version of the purple (but NOT pink-ish, must still be dark purple!) or more highlighting on the black areas: FIRST LINK

Then this is a model I really like, it just looks sooo dark, mysterious, and tragic. Real Eldar feeling: SECOND LINK

I want to create that kind of colour scheme and feeling of some kind of majestic alien tragic. But I find it very hard to think how I could do this with my guardians. I was thinking about using black, some kind of dark purple, and some kind of dark blue. The latter two being highlighed up to a point that the whole model doesnt look plain and no colour standing out... (too dark) but also not too light turning the Eldar into some kind of happy clown. This was what I came up with so far: TEST COLOUR SCEME but it doesnt look really right, I see no room to fit in the dark blue highlighed into light blue anywhere without making it too bright because I also want to keep in the purple and black, and making the purple area blue and the black area purple does that exactely. (hello clown)

So please advice me...

P.S. Alternative would be to go with THIS or THIS but a red eldar army full of jetbikes is just sooo mainstream, and I want to stand out from the crowd and be creative! Plus I really like the dark tragic look idea...

A Tau Ethereal was thought to have been killed today by a Bloodthirster. However, many Tau were seen fleeing the scene and are considered suspects.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

To make them look tragic, use dark colors, and go light on the really 'moving' poses. Think emo- they just slouch around, no leaping through the trees.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

If you see it correctly enough Ravenwing's colour scheme is based more on Black... Then he uses Warlock Purple highlighted with Pink and a blue started off by a very dark blue up to some highlights of Ice Blue.

You can use his dark colours in your way though. Trying to make something else has already made is not so creative. Try being creative with Ravenwings' palette of colours...

The darker red colour scheme you think of is nice but as you have said it is too common!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies. Yeah Tsele those colours are basically it... black, dark purple with light purple highlights and dark blue with light blue highlights.

I am not sure yet how to put that on my guardians though. Basically, I can only see two 'layers' on their outfits. The lowest layer being the 'cloth'-like material (which I made black in my test colour scheme) and the higher layer being the armor pads, shoulder pads, and helmet. I made those purple.

I also want to fit in the blue somewhere. But there's very little room to actually fit on the three of those colours, without making it look a bit goofy.

Also the second pic of that broad eldar with the big gun - I see more blue and purple than black, but it still looks good - however leaving too little black on the guardians would make them look weird
    A Tau Ethereal was thought to have been killed today by a Bloodthirster. However, many Tau were seen fleeing the scene and are considered suspects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

182 (x5)

After looking at it again...

He has used the blue actually as a drybrushed highlight on the black more than a pure highlight!

What you can do is print the pictures of Ravenwing and try to copy them onto the guardians!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

problem is he has, as Tsele pointed out, he has used black as the basic colour, and then painted free hand, the GW tester wont let you do that, so yours looks lighter, as it has more colour on it.
    I do something similar to his here:

(waits for Kuffey to whinge about piccis)

you just cant replicate this on the over simplified GW program

I would try painting a teste, instead of painting entire armour plate one colour spray it black and highlight with the colour, should get what you want
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

182 (x5)

I will whine about the pics... too dark or yellowish but surely not lighted enough!!!

The freehand though as much as it is visible is wonderful!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post

(waits for Kuffey to whinge about piccis)
    Bloody elves. Who taught you to take pictures? eh? Eh? And you think you're all artisans. Pah!

-__^

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    Bloody elves. Who taught you to take pictures? eh? Eh? And you think you're all artisans. Pah!

-__^

KU
    thanks, wouldnt be the same without it
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for your input. I have been looking at alot of pictures and been buisy designing colour schemes. As soon as I have the time I will try out a couple. Here are the best ones so far.

I know now which Craftworld I might base my army on. I recently read about the Altansar craftworld. Their fluff sounds awesome, but I DON'T like the colour scheme given on the GW website (kind of slaanesh-pink with black :x ) For those who don't know about Altansar, they have been a lost craftworld for many thousands of years. Much like Ulthwé they were close to the Eye of Terror, however unlike Ulthwé they ended up right in the middle of it. They recently came out of it again in one way or another and after spending all that time in the realms of Chaos, they must have changed into some kind of evil-ish Eldar, I think. Something inbetween Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Inspired by French Golden Demon 2007 2nd place. This colour scheme is not exactely what I was looking for, since I was looking for a mysterious, alien look. This is exactely such a look. However it might be too bright... I dunno. I really love it. But I might want something darker.

Inspired by Death Jester. Unfortunately I lost the link to the inspiration picture. Full credit goes to the person who uploaded it on coolminiornot.com.
    I like this scheme too. It's much darker, sinister, and fits the Altansar fluff much better. I think black + red will also look better on the jetbikes, of which I will have several squads. The shuriken catapults will get the same colour as the helmet (bleached bone) OR the way the gun in Death Jester pic is painted. And I might give them capes or 'skirts' too just as with the first example. I think I would paint those the way the cape of the jester in Inspiration Picture is painted: black with red highlights/drybrush/whatever it is. The exact details of this might be changed. Might add some more red on the legs...?

What do you think so far? Please give comments on the schemes I found. Remember I might want to get evil-ish Saim-Hann or Altansar.
    Last edited by MisterDutch; May 24th, 2007 at 22:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. May 25th, 2007, 20:42
  2. May 25th, 2007, 17:50