Painting Lettering advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Lettering advice

When it comes to my daemonhunters i cant quite figure out how to make the letting on their shoulder pads come out decent.
    I've tried using a fine detail brush but it comes out sloppy and unreadable,
    same with when i try making the squigilies on their parchments they come out really thick and cant same to make it small enough and look decent.

Anyone know and tricks to doing lettering?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

If the letters are recesses as on the GK-shoulder pads, just make sure you don't paint them. Paint all else and the letters will be seen in the base colour. You can also use a wash or maybe even an ink that goes into those recesses, the effect will be the same.

On the parchments use a fine tipped pen, not a brush. Draw or write - don't paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks for the tip, and by lettering i meant how you can write a name on their right shoulder pad where the blank parchment is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If you are using a brush you need to go very slow. To the point where it takes you several brush strokes to finish a single letter. Don't try to write with a brush the same way you would a pen. Really practice is the way to go here.

Another alternative that I use quite a bit is to use a Micron Pigma pen. I use a .005 black pen. It works pretty decent. Not great for hard to reach spots though.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    If you are using a brush you need to go very slow. To the point where it takes you several brush strokes to finish a single letter. Don't try to write with a brush the same way you would a pen. Really practice is the way to go here.

Another alternative that I use quite a bit is to use a Micron Pigma pen. I use a .005 black pen. It works pretty decent. Not great for hard to reach spots though.

Cheers,

-Mike

I agree with Mike. I recommend that you thin your paints, and keep an excellent point on them to do this. I eschew the pens in favor of hand-painting the names on my shoulderpads. To do this, I use a 000 brush with thinned black paint, and carefully block out the letters. I would advise using straight lines only at first.

For an example, check out this link here

Hope that helps
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

What they said.

Also, try practicing what you want to paint, first by sketching it on some paper (ie: draw out the word) so you can see how the letters go together.
    Then try painting it onto some paper or another flat surface.
    Then finally try it onto the model.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but you really need your paint fairly thin for such fine detail, as otherwise it won't flow out of your brush, it will just stick together.
    As Slorak often says, your paint should be "about the consistancy of milk"...

Hold the model as steady as possible, and try and rest both your fore-arms on the edge of a desk or something while you are doing it, as this will help keep you steady.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of practice makes perfect ^_^

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

It is also quite a good idea not to start with the first letter in the name but the middle one.
    This will make it far easier to get all the letters the same size and avoid getting the initial ones big and the following smaller and smaller in order to fit the parchment.

+ Reply to Thread