Paints, what to use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paints, what to use?

I have a couple $$$ budget. I need to reboost my painting area and hobby supplies.

My questions are:

What paints should i use?

I currently use GW, but is vallejo a better choice? P3 paints? If price did not matter, what would you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eM-Power View Post
    I have a couple $$$ budget. I need to reboost my painting area and hobby supplies.

My questions are:

What paints should i use?

I currently use GW, but is vallejo a better choice? P3 paints? If price did not matter, what would you have?
    Good question. Only real advice I can offer is to not use Reaper. Maybe others here like it, and that's fine, but I found they didn't last as long on the palette as I'd like before drying out.

I use GW. Vallejo seems like a tantalizing buy, as there are a TON of people here who swear by them. They are a little thinner (I'm told), cheaper and their dropper bottles would make mixing paints a breeze. Guy at my local shop said they don't cover quite as well as GW, though, and his advice was if I was using GW, to keep using it.

Just my thoughts. Other more experienced painters here will probably have better advice.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

My experience is that if you're buying new, go for Vallejo, they are cheaper, and will force you to use techniques that will advance your painting skills (layering up, washing down etc) to get a decent result, precicely because they don't cover so well.
    They are (at least in the UK) significantly cheaper than GW, though harder to find.

I believe you can get some decent pricves for GW paints online, especially from eBay, so if you're determined to stick with GW, try there.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t View Post
    My experience is that if you're buying new, go for Vallejo, they are cheaper, and will force you to use techniques that will advance your painting skills (layering up, washing down etc) to get a decent result, precicely because they don't cover so well.
    They are (at least in the UK) significantly cheaper than GW, though harder to find.

I believe you can get some decent pricves for GW paints online, especially from eBay, so if you're determined to stick with GW, try there.

-t.
    In the US, you can get them pretty much anywhere. I know of two non-GW hobby shops within striking distance of me that sell GW, Reaper, Testors, Vallejo, Tamiya, etc., and good volumes of each.

I'm curious: How "badly" does Vallejo cover? I'm still contemplating switching. I'm also told that GW's inks and metallics are better than Vallejo. True?

Sorry, last post on this. Don't wanna turn it into yet another Vallejo vs. GW thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Vallejo. EVERYONE on the forum says to water down the paint anyway, so why being "thinner" is a problem? IMHO the bottle design used by Vallejo is a good enough excuse (on its own) to use them over GW. Also, they seem to have more color choices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I am surprised to hear the bad comments about the reaper pro series paints. I have heard good things about them...

At any rate - I use vallejo pretty much exclusively. I have been contemplating trying the new foundation paints in conjunction with the vallejo but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The number 1 reason why I use vallejo is the dropper bottles. I HATE taking paint out of the pot with a brush. It is not accurate at all and makes it very difficult to get a good formula going...

At any rate - vallejo has 2 ranges. The model color and the game color. The model color consists of around 250+ paints with a much bigger shade range. The hues are much more natural and I think were initially aimed at historical figures. The model color paints are thicker than the game color paints and need to be thinned. Also they aren't quite as resillient especially when thinned so varnishing is a must. I would even recommend varnishing between layers for additional sturdyness.

The game color range I believe was put out to compete with GW paints. The names are very similar, colors practically identical and the coverage very similar. They aren't a perfect match to GW but very very close. They also recently introduced a Game color ink range and so far the inks I have used have been very good. For the most part they dry pretty flat. Something I cannot say about GW inks.

I have not had an issue with the vallejo metallics. I use them all the time with good results. It has been a while since I have used a GW metallic paint so i really don't have anything to compare it to. I think they look decent enough.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    I am surprised to hear the bad comments about the reaper pro series paints. I have heard good things about them...
    I didn't hate them, but I didn't like the screw-top pots, and I found they dried out a lot faster than the GW stuff. Yeah, I could keep wetting the palette, but...

Overall color was good, but I also found GW were easier to get a hold of. I'm seriously considering going Vallejo at some point, but I keep putting it off. Maybe when I finish my current project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

From what I understand the new reaper pro paints are dropper bottles as well.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread