Eldar Avatar. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eldar Avatar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar Avatar.

I've been slowly working on this avatar over the last few weeks. I've actualy been able to spend very little time on it in any given day. I've managed to build up its body colors to a dark red and am debating on adding another darker more blackish color to it. I realy like the way it looks now but I think it might look better with a more black finish. Any opinions are welcome. Also, I was thinking about gold colored ruins and a light blue cloth.

This is my current progress...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Your Avatar looks quite good. I don't think you need to add black if you simply want it dark, it look's dark already. Black however could add a little more depth to it, also it will make it appear burnt.

I'm not sure you should use a bright blue loin cloth. You seem to be trying to get a dark and realistic look with what you have done to your Avatar so far. A bright blue loin cloth will distract from the flame and heat feel of the Avatar and sort of cool it down. I suggest you try a bone coloured cloth, bleached bone highlighted with white and shaded with brown would do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a darker blue cloth? or is blue to light? Blue is the main color of my eldar army. But the shades of blue range from regal blue with some black in it to lightning blue with white in it. So i have basicly any shade of blue to match with.

And yes, I wanted it to appear burnt. I'll be adding the black then. Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as apposed to painting it black, you could instead simply highlight with a gloss water based varnish... if that makes sense...

you would then get it looking a bit more molteny/armourplatey... wow, that was a really poor explanation.
    anyway, yeah, gloss varnish over some bits of the plates will make it look darker, plus will add reflectivness.

~silver
    "Eat Self Propelling, Armour Piercing, Mass Reactive Explosive Missiles You Alien Scum"..Ahhh..Where Would We Be With Out The Humble Bolter Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo-of-petrov
    next time I play him I’ll see how his lords like flaming death metal pie.
    I AM NOT A MACODITTY!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurtalpus View Post
    How about a darker blue cloth? or is blue to light? Blue is the main color of my eldar army. But the shades of blue range from regal blue with some black in it to lightning blue with white in it. So i have basicly any shade of blue to match with.
    Dark blue won't be light it will just be cold, regardless of how light or dark you make it blue is cold. If blue is the primary colour of your Eldar army and you want the Avatar to to look like it belongs to them then you could go for it.

My point was that if you want a kind of burnt and very hot look to your Avatar, blue will interfere with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point taken Leech. I'll stay away from the blue :cry:
    I doubt I'll ever field the Avatar anyway, Its a model I bought in 2001(I think) because I simply had to have it. No Eldar collection is complete w/o the living incarnation of the bloody handed god.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update, still comming along slowly, but found a point that I'm stuck on. What is that thing around the neck of the avatar? Some kind of collar? And if so would it look silly if I painted it the same color as I paint the ruins on his chest?

Ah, and I didnt have any bleached bone, so I made some from yellow, brown, white(a lot), and codex grey. Wet it matches my old dried up GW bleached bone close enough that I cant tell the diffrence.

Last edited by Yurtalpus; June 10th, 2007 at 19:16.

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

I really like the "molten" look that you've achieved!

Just a question- what base color do you use for the dark red/brown areas? It looks like brown with a red wash.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its 3 layers, red, then a wash of red and black I made (very dark), then a very thin black wash. It seems to work well. The body had a red/brown layer between the red and red/black but I discovered I didnt need that step to achieve the look I wanted. The first picture didnt have the black wash on it, I added it because I wanted it darker then the red/black.

If thats not the information you wanted just post again and I'll see if I can figure out what it is your looking for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurtalpus View Post
    Update, still comming along slowly, but found a point that I'm stuck on. What is that thing around the neck of the avatar? Some kind of collar? And if so would it look silly if I painted it the same color as I paint the ruins on his chest?
    Yep, that's a collar. You can paint it the same colour as the runes on his chest if you like. You should consider what part of the Avatar you think it is and therefore what colour it should be.

To me it looks like it is a part of his armour. I would paint it to match. If you want it to stand out then you can always apply some small measure of extra highlights to this area. It will then be special but entirely a different part of him.

I saw your painted loin cloth and it look's very good. The way you mixed up the paints to get what you needed was very resourceful. :spell:

+ Reply to Thread