2ft by 1.5ft Test sample for gaming board. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

2ft by 1.5ft Test sample for gaming board.

Hey folks, I'm planning on building a gaming table, but first i made a small test board to see if i liked the general idea. Tell me what you think and how i can improve it.

http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...7813A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...1A13A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...3413A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...3413A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...F213A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...0013A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...9813A211DC.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/alexpape7/.P...E013A211DC.jpg

The basic concept behind the board is this: In the middle(going somewhat diagonally) the table is split by a river. There will be several bridges in which models can cross(Its the only way across since the river is made of LAVA:w00t. The Idea behind this was to create choke points, that would be very important to control. Along the river, there will be turrets, fortified hills, barracades, tank traps, and razorwire, bunkers. The table will also be crowded by buildings/ terrain so it will be more tactical. Also I'll put some cool stuff into the board like dead casualties, animal skulls, a cactus, a sarlac pit looking thing. Anyway, its suppost to look like somewhat wasteland, but there are tiny patches of vegitation.

In the pics, i included models to show what it will look like when being played on. the turrets, bridge, and barracades are NOT built into the table and can be removed.

Hope you like it, if not; tell me why so i can make it better.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

182 (x5)

Actually it is a little small board to fill it with terrain... It is not as an idea but to choke it with buildings given it's size won't look so good...

You can improve your lava river a little... I think lava is not only yellow! And some work on the bridges too... apart from that you can use it as a Combat Patrol board which has few models... But I like the idea... :yes:
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsele View Post
    Actually it is a little small board to fill it with terrain... It is not as an idea but to choke it with buildings given it's size won't look so good...

You can improve your lava river a little... I think lava is not only yellow! And some work on the bridges too... apart from that you can use it as a Combat Patrol board which has few models... But I like the idea... :yes:
    uhhh... dude, this is just a sample strip. The actual table is going to be 6x3 feet. Its o.k. thought I understand that I may have been a bit vague. Sorry.

As for the lava, it was still wet with yellow ink when i took the pic(I'm a bit impatient) now it looks more yellow-orange.

I'm not too hot on the bridge either, but i can't figure out what to use as one. Any suggestions?

I may keep this sample for combat patrol or teaching new players, now that i think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

182 (x5)

Sorry the post was not meant in bad way...

I know impatience... I am living it... :yes: I have ruined some models because of it! But I would like to see some more pics of the board when it is finished...

As I said the idea is very nice... I thought of it sometime back but I wasn't in the mood to make anything and it was forgotten... And the comment on the size was there because I didn't saw anywhere mentioning that it will be bigger... sorry!

As for the bridge you can try some plasticard or some rope with balsa wood for a more jungle looking terrain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

6x3 is not a very good sized board...you might want to makeit a bit bigger. 40k is kinda designed so that the armies start off with 24" between them...if you do make it that way you would want to make deployment zones 6". Apart from that, you need to add some red in that lava river around the edges. Build it up like the layers in a rainbow...of course the sides would be semmetric but go from deep red-bright red-bright orange-yellow-uber bright yellow. It should then give off a sort of glow effect. Also if you ever look at where lava is...it isnt the dessert or scrublands like your board seems to be. Its in ashy waste. This makes it easier on you though becuase A. Black-Grey is real easy to paint. and B. You dont have to bother with flock. I think to give it an authentic fell make it ash ground instead of dirt ground...it makes no sense, lava flows couldnt support dirt with grass on it and the ground would be scorching hot (enough to melt your boots) so bushes and trees wouldnt be able to grow. Plue i think having a dark background pics out the models more and makes them look better.

Browse through this to see what i mean. Not a bad start to your terrain making though. Remember dont crowd the board with to much stuff, a standard board should have 25%-33% terrain coverage i.e. you could fit all the terrain pieces on to one corner of the board.

lava flow - Google Image Search

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by C/-Rt3r View Post
    6x3 is not a very good sized board...you might want to makeit a bit bigger. 40k is kinda designed so that the armies start off with 24" between them...if you do make it that way you would want to make deployment zones 6". Apart from that, you need to add some red in that lava river around the edges. Build it up like the layers in a rainbow...of course the sides would be semmetric but go from deep red-bright red-bright orange-yellow-uber bright yellow. It should then give off a sort of glow effect. Also if you ever look at where lava is...it isnt the dessert or scrublands like your board seems to be. Its in ashy waste. This makes it easier on you though becuase A. Black-Grey is real easy to paint. and B. You dont have to bother with flock. I think to give it an authentic fell make it ash ground instead of dirt ground...it makes no sense, lava flows couldnt support dirt with grass on it and the ground would be scorching hot (enough to melt your boots) so bushes and trees wouldnt be able to grow. Plue i think having a dark background pics out the models more and makes them look better.

Browse through this to see what i mean. Not a bad start to your terrain making though. Remember dont crowd the board with to much stuff, a standard board should have 25%-33% terrain coverage i.e. you could fit all the terrain pieces on to one corner of the board.

lava flow - Google Image Search
    The reason I'm doing six by three is that its really the biggest i can afford in my condo. It will be played strickly corner to corner for this reason. I'll add some red to the lava. I also had the problem justifying the lava river in my board. however, you gave me a great idea. I could make perhaps the 3-6" to the river ash waste/ hardened lava. that way i can keep the scrubland and the lava river. Sound reasonable?

Thank you, your post was very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

just a thought, but if you're already going to split the table with a river, why not make 2 6x2 panels that fold up? that way you could deal with the size, and the storage becomes less of an issue.

Some people will mention that having "reference markers" like panel lines give people an easier time of guessing range, and while that's true to a certain extent, convenience has to be taken into consideration as well.

Seems like 6x3 would severely limit the number of scenarios you can play (all of CoD would be out, because it's designed around 4x4 or 6x4)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

182 (x5)

Why haven't I thought of that before? Even if I am making a folding table with a fresh idea on. Like you my space given is not so large so I try to be creative with what is given to me! :w00t:

+ Reply to Thread