Grasping Glazing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Grasping Glazing

Hi:

So I've done a search of the forums, but found no links/articles/threads directly addressing the concept of glazing, and I'd like to learn more. All I know for sure is one technique of mixing Vallejo glazing medium 50/50 with paint (I think).

What exactly is glazing? What effect does it produce? Is it used with standard paints, inks, metallics? Is the above the only way, or can it be done with other companies' (GW, Reaper, Tamiya) products, or is there a good "homebrew" version?

Just wondering, and based on the responses, maybe a mod could put this in the links on the forum for other newbies like me to find?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not everyone means the same thing when they say "glazing". Usually they mean doing a very very very dilute wash over an area to diminish color contrast. For example, if you have an armor plate painted SM blue and the edges are highlighted a bright ice blue, you may want to mute the extreme contrast by washing a very dilute SM blue over the whole plate. This is my understanding of the term and how I use it- others may disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I think this will enlighten you:

BrushThralls.com - Glaze Medium

it's the brushthralls explanation of what glazing is, how to use Vallejo glaze medium etc.

the first couple of lines of the article should give you a general idea, but i STRONGLY recommend you go through this (and a lot of their other articles while you are at it) and just read them all. Their recommendations are excellent, and many of their mixes for washes (including using glazing medium sometimes, and future floor wax others) has made my painting much better.

here's the start of the article.

'll start by defining what a glaze is in painting terms. Simply put, a glaze is a thin (mostly) transparent layer of paint. I have it defined in our Glossary as: A transparent coating applied over a painted surface to modify the color tones underneath. That sounds a bit more complicated than it really is. When a transparent color is applied over another, the top color alters the first. This is because light rays mix, creating a visual color mixture. You can achieve greater depth in your painting by using several layers of transparent color. In glaze paint layers, light rays penetrate the layers, strike the opaque model surface and reflect back to the eye creating various visual color mixes. The more layers of pigment that the light travels through, the greater the "depth" of color the eye perceives. Confused yet?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    I think this will enlighten you:

BrushThralls.com - Glaze Medium

it's the brushthralls explanation of what glazing is, how to use Vallejo glaze medium etc.

the first couple of lines of the article should give you a general idea, but i STRONGLY recommend you go through this (and a lot of their other articles while you are at it) and just read them all. Their recommendations are excellent, and many of their mixes for washes (including using glazing medium sometimes, and future floor wax others) has made my painting much better.

here's the start of the article.
    Very nice. Yet another technique I don't know how to do yet! :w00t:
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

That link is a good one. I have nothing more to add really.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread