Varnishing your models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varnishing your models

What is a good varnish to get to use after you finished painting? I'm looking at the armory clear matte finish, is that any good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

For gaming, you want your model to be as protected as possible.
    The standardly accepted 'good' way seems to be to spray the whole model with a coat or two of a good gloss varnish, then either paint on a matte varnish, or use Testor's Dullcote spray.
    As far as I am aware, Dullcote is the only 'true' spray matte varnish, but I haven't tried the brand you're talking about.

If you search the painitng forums there should be loads of info about various different finishes etc, so have a look.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Testors Dullcote works all the time. I love the stuff.

I don't use a gloss varnish first - but I have been using Krylong Crystal Clear Non-Yellowing Satin Varnish (say that 3 times fast!) first (2 coats) and then using the dullcote.

I just picked up a can of Krylon in a flat finish so I am eager to try that and see how it compares to the dullcote. I have used other brands (can't remember the name right now) and while they worked pretty good I like the look of the dullcote more...

I have never had a problem with paint rubbing off or chipping (though I must admit that I don't game too often and when I do I am fairly careful with the figures... I am sure if I threw them all in a collective box they would get damaged. LOL.

I use a mixture in my paint and one of the ingredients is Future Floor Wax - and I am wondering if that contributes to the overall durability of the paint. My guess would be yes.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Looks like you've already got advice from the local gurus, so I'll just say that I've never been impressed with Armory spray products. From my experience, the clear matte finish still leaves a little bit of a glossy sheen to it. Don't get me going on their primer either - A friend of mine paid me $100 to strip and re-primer 5 blood bowl teams worth of figures he had sprayed with armory primer, in perfect temperature after shaking the can for plenty of time, when the result was a spotty and inconsistent coat. Now that I think about it, he never did paint those teams. His loss.

You can usually find the armory cans for a little cheaper than other primers and varnish, but believe me when I tell you it's worth a little extra cash to get higher quality stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope09 View Post
    Looks like you've already got advice from the local gurus, so I'll just say that I've never been impressed with Armory spray products. From my experience, the clear matte finish still leaves a little bit of a glossy sheen to it. Don't get me going on their primer either - A friend of mine paid me $100 to strip and re-primer 5 blood bowl teams worth of figures he had sprayed with armory primer, in perfect temperature after shaking the can for plenty of time, when the result was a spotty and inconsistent coat. Now that I think about it, he never did paint those teams. His loss.

You can usually find the armory cans for a little cheaper than other primers and varnish, but believe me when I tell you it's worth a little extra cash to get higher quality stuff.
    Thank you very much and everyone else who responded.

+ Reply to Thread