Air Brush Shopping - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Air Brush Shopping

Well, I just went and picked up a nice 100PSI, 2Gal. air compressor with a regulator and I now need an air brush. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, I just need easy to use and reliable, at an economical price. I've looked at Badger brand, but I don't know anything about them, they simply have the price range I'm looking for.

Thus a brand suggestion is probably most important though all information is welcome. What I need is a dual action, internal mix, siphon feed air brush. I will be using it for base coating, for now.

Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Well, seeing as I know nothing about airbrushes, you may want to give this a go. Go into your local Hobby Lobby, go to the airbrush aisle, close your eyes, stick your arm out and point your index finger straight, spin around and the first airbrush you hit or point to, you get. :yes: Hope I helped.

-J

P.S. Yeah..Yeah I know that was stupid and pointless.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I picked up an airbrush + brad nailer + compressor (the brad nailer was free ) The airbrush i got was a Paasche VLS. It meets all your stated requirements. I'm very happy with it. I got the "all in one" kind of kit, with 3 needles, a couple of bottles etc.

It's a double-action (meaning you can control both the amount of air and the flow of the paint), it's easy to take apart (though be smarter then me and don't lose the instructions) and relatively cheap. I got mine on ebay for about 60$USD. I just checked on there, and there's 5 at that price on there right now.

Double-action takes more getting used to, but i like being able to control the flow of paint. it makes "dustings" pretty easy.

Also, i've been shooting mostly Vallejo Game Color, which is a little tricky to work with because it's not pre-thinned. I use it to basecoat all my eldar vehicles, makes for a LOT smoother finish.

I've got limited but relevant experience. ask away if you have any specific questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    I picked up an airbrush + brad nailer + compressor (the brad nailer was free ) The airbrush i got was a Paasche VLS. It meets all your stated requirements. I'm very happy with it. I got the "all in one" kind of kit, with 3 needles, a couple of bottles etc.

It's a double-action (meaning you can control both the amount of air and the flow of the paint), it's easy to take apart (though be smarter then me and don't lose the instructions) and relatively cheap. I got mine on ebay for about 60$USD. I just checked on there, and there's 5 at that price on there right now.

Double-action takes more getting used to, but i like being able to control the flow of paint. it makes "dustings" pretty easy.

Also, i've been shooting mostly Vallejo Game Color, which is a little tricky to work with because it's not pre-thinned. I use it to basecoat all my eldar vehicles, makes for a LOT smoother finish.

I've got limited but relevant experience. ask away if you have any specific questions.
    I recognize Paasche, that was another brand I was looking at in my price range (seems consistent with what I've seen).

I previously used a cheap external mix, compressed air can powered, plastic air brush for base coating. What a pain that was. Anyhow, I quickly realized I needed something with consistent pressure.

Which needle do you use: fine, medium, or heavy?

Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I recognize Paasche, that was another brand I was looking at in my price range (seems consistent with what I've seen).
    From what i understand, the "big three" these days in the airbrush world are Badger, Paasche and Aztek. those are the ones that are the most popular and easiest to find parts for.

I previously used a cheap external mix, compressed air can powered, plastic air brush for base coating. What a pain that was. Anyhow, I quickly realized I needed something with consistent pressure.
    I did that too. I used compressed air exactly once before deciding it was a waste of my time. Make sure that you pick up a regulator if your compressor doesn't have one already. I find i tend to be a little overenthusiastic with the air, and end up blowing the still wet paint around more then needs to be.

Which needle do you use: fine, medium, or heavy?

Right now i'm still using the medium. I am going to be experimenting with the fine, the heavy i think would be too much paint. I'm very much still in the learning stage.

Paasche incidentally included a small booklet with some exercises to do to get better at control. I'm working through them slowly, but they have been making a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Well, my shopping is done, I ordered a Badger 175 Crescendo. It has everything I need plus a few extras. Cost only $80US with shipping.

Reading a bit more, I found that the medium will probably be the only needle I need for my minis unless I use it to paint my Monoliths. On my Crescendo, the medium needle does between a 1/32" to 2 1/2" spread.

My air compressor has a maximum 100PSI, 2Gal tank, and has a built in regulator, so I should be good to go except for some adaptors that I'll purchase when the air brush is delivered.

On a side note, I checked eBay for the same model I purchased from an online store and they are equally expensive and more often more expensive. The used ones, although complete, seem to cap out around the same price so I didn't bother with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    Well, my shopping is done, I ordered a Badger 175 Crescendo. It has everything I need plus a few extras. Cost only $80US with shipping.

Reading a bit more, I found that the medium will probably be the only needle I need for my minis unless I use it to paint my Monoliths. On my Crescendo, the medium needle does between a 1/32" to 2 1/2" spread.

My air compressor has a maximum 100PSI, 2Gal tank, and has a built in regulator, so I should be good to go except for some adaptors that I'll purchase when the air brush is delivered.

On a side note, I checked eBay for the same model I purchased from an online store and they are equally expensive and more often more expensive. The used ones, although complete, seem to cap out around the same price so I didn't bother with that.
    Hi Kore, So, I have a Badger 150 airbrush and I've been happy with what I've been able to do with it(not much since I don't have a compressor) I know other people with the badgers and they are quite satisfied. From what I understand they are a good all around airbrush.

For "our" purposes of modeling and such the medium needle is going to indeed be the most useful of them all.

Happy brushing!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Hi Kore, So, I have a Badger 150 airbrush and I've been happy with what I've been able to do with it...

...Happy brushing!
    That was the other model I was looking at but the 175 happened to be packaged with some extra jars.

+ Reply to Thread