help painting hair - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

help painting hair

i'd like some information on which colors are best in combination to achieve realistic hair in different colors, e.g. which 2 or 3 colors make the best-looking blond hair, brown hair,...

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm

to paint hair i normaly go with bestial brown then inked with brown ink. however to get rid of the shine add a slight bit of matt varnish. hope it helps ! THE_ZAPPER over and out

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

To get blonde hair paint the hair yellow or a mix of yellow and brown. Highlight this with white and add a yellow ink wash. This will give you bright blonde hair. To get brown hair, paint the hair any shade of brown. Then simply find a shade of brown that's a little lighter and drybrush it over. You can deepen the effect with some brown ink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find to get that extra bit of realism, and bear with me this is going to sound strangebut... ,{goofy} when painting blond hair add just a touch of an olive green colour (say catachan green) to the deepest shadows. This will add depth and keep the blond from looking too flat. Careful not to over-do it. this technique requires a very subtle touch.
    [FONT="Impact"][COLOR="Red"]That which doesn't kill us, maims us for life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Blond hair, real blond hair isnt really yellow. And if you are taking into account a pseudo medieval or war torn futuristic setting, dyed or bleached hair wouldnt really be seen much, so normal is what you would go for. Now that is not to say you cant paint your models any way you want. I am all for the owner having total control over his/her painting. You also cant rule out all of the non-humans populating the game who might have yellow hair (Elves come to mind). Now, with all of those disclaimers, to achieve "real" blond hair I like to use a mix of yellow and a flesh tone. Real blond hair for the most part is closer to beige (I am sure their are some exceptions) of some shade.

Since I paint models not to win awards, but to look good from the height of the player over the models in the game, I am a fan of deep shadows so the details stand out at a distance.

So for blond, I paint the hair brown first and drybrush (or paint verrry carefully) with the yellow/flesh mix. A light drybrushing to top it off with the same yellow/flesh mix with white added in finishes it for me.

Dark Brown hair starts with bestial brown, washed in black then drybrushed with light shades of brown.

Light brown hair starts with bestial brown and highlighted with lighter browns, up as high as a snakebite leather or a flesh tone.

For black you still want to highlight it to give it some depth. Start with chaos black and drybrush a very dark colour over it. Real black hair also contains a tint of another colour, usually red, brown, or even blue. Using a dark grey will just make the model look old. So take one of the colours that will compliment your colour schemes and mix it with alot of black for the highlights.

Grey/white hair - Since purely white hair is very rare, I like to start by basing the hair with whatever natural colour you would like the model to have had in its youth. Drybrush heavily over this so it just gives a hint in the end. Use greys to white as you build up the highlights. If you want a totally white hair, then start with a grey I suppose, though I have never done that.

Like I said, I dont paint for Golden Deamons, just for a nice look on the table. But realism is important to me and I try to achieve that with my limited skills. I hope this is helpful.

neurodisruptor
    Staunch supporter of rigid Moderation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

thanks

i'll try these tips out this weekend (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

When I paint blonde hair I usually start with a leather or light brown color for the base. Since most hair is smooth on models I paint using short brush strokes in a scattered pattern to get a generic sense of there being strands... I start mixing in desert yellow (the muted more natural yellow - I happen to use vallejo game colors but GW should have an equivalent).

If you want really blonde hair I would continue to mix in a bit of bone white for the final highlights.

The model below uses that method with the difference of adding a watered down layer of Vallejo Game color ink yellow.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Desert yellow and Bleached Bone are great examples of the more natural beige-yellows I was talking about. Thanks for helping with some premixed colour choices (I dont own many colours and tend to have to mix most of mine).

And Good Luck arisen on your upcoming painting!
    Staunch supporter of rigid Moderation.

+ Reply to Thread