Acrylic metal paints + finish = ?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acrylic metal paints + finish = ??

I did a search but if there was an answer to my question I couldn't find the right words to search for. Apologies if I messed up.

So, with paints like GW's Shining Gold or Boltgun Metal, what kind of spray is best to protect them against normal gaming use without dulling that appealing shine?

I'm not certain if either product I'm looking at (Testor's Dullcote and Krylon Matte Finish) would even have that effect, but I'm reluctant to test it as I'm still something of a newbie and it takes me a couple of days work to get satisfied with a single Necron Warrior. If I screw something up by trying it without getting a good answer from someone more experienced I won't be a happy camper.

So, which of those would you guys say is better over metallics? Is there another spray or paint on finish that works particularly well in this regard?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It is of my professional opinion that models look better completely flat and without the shine. Therefore I would recommend testors dullcote. Yet on the other hand it really is an opinion and what I like and think looks better might not be the same for you.

An alternative would be to use a dullcote primer or something similar and then a brush on gloss or satin varnish for the gold areas - though I am still of the opinion that overall having no shine on the figure actually makes it look more professional and sharp. The key to overcome the dulling effect somewhat is to go a little lighter with the highlights to compensate.

(yay 2000 posts)!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

GW also do a gloss varnish spray but I think I agree with Slorak in that glossy/shiney figures don't usually look as good as... er... 'not-shiney' ones.

If you only want parts of a model to be glossy then the liquid gloss varnish is great for adding drool or shine to gems and what-not.

If you're really worried then slap some colours on a piece of sprue and spray half to see what the effect is. Then you can judge for yourself.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread