Freehand feathers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Kyushu, Japan
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

11 (x1)

Freehand feathers?

I'm looking to paint a dark brown & v. dark brown feather scheme on some minis but wanted to work out a technique first. They'll be going on a relatively smooth but curved surface, so I'm practicing on a primed Snapple cap. I want there to be some sort of demarcation from feather to feather, enough that it can be seen without squinting but not so obvious that it can be seen from more than a foot or two away. (At that distance, I'd much prefer it to appear simply as a very dark brown, approaching black.) The left edge of the upper-left feather in the following picture is appx. 2mm, and I'd like to halve that size if I can.

So far I've just been painting thin light lines for the ends of the feathers, then using a dark brown to "edge" the line even thinner, and then an even darker brown to fill in gaps and break up lines that are too close together. But like I said, I need the feathers to be even smaller, so I'm not sure what to do. It's definitely going to take a lot of time to do this effectively.

If you have any advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks :)

EDIT: By the way, at this point I'm ignoring the biological aspect (e.g. feather placement and patterns); I just want to get a painting technique down. After that, I'll definitely be sure to get it as natural-looking as I can :]

Last edited by skyfish; June 19th, 2007 at 20:30. Reason: addendum/clarification

+ Reply to Thread